Author Topic: Help please ( pic )  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Help please ( pic )
« Reply #-1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:45:22 PM »
I want to make pork belly burnt ends. I asked butcher at sams club and he said they do not carry them anymore because they weren't selling. I found this at restaurant depot and I'm not sure if it's a pork belly. So I have 2 questions if you can help

1. Is this a pork belly ?
2. It says frozen on the label and its definitely not frozen. I wanted to cook Half and freeze the other half ( it's huge ). will it be nasty if it was indeed frozen at one point and I'll be freezing it again.
3. Just thought I'd mention there's no expiration date on it. It looked like it was on their with black marker and it is smudged off.

The no date upsets me because I New a cold cut delivery guy ( my best friend ) who would deliberately smudge the exp date so he could still sell it to the delis.
             Thanks my bbq brothers. Here's the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Help please ( pic )
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
It definitely looks like a pork belly to me. I haven't shopped Rest Depot, but what I have read some of them use the Julian date for their pack and use by dates. If that is the case with this one, and I am only guessing, 88 would be March 29th and the 109 P would be April 19th which may be the use by date.

If you have already bought it the only way to really tell is open it up and use your nose. If it smells rancid, toss it.

I have refrozen previously frozen meat before without any problems. The problem I see here is that it says frozen and you are saying it is not. So to me that tells me that it was probably left out of a cooler and it thawed. Again I could be wrong on all of this, but if you haven't bought it, then don't.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:33:53 PM »
Thanks for the date information I didn't know that. Do I just google the code to come up with that or some kind of chart ? I do see the word bellie on the label now lol. I'm a retard . Label says frozen but it was stored in a refrigeratored section.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:53 PM »
I have always maintained that there is nothing wrong with re-freezing meat as long as it was defrosted and kept refrigerated at below 40*.
The restaurant depot near me does not keep its larger cuts of meat in the freezer but in a large refrigerated room that is below 40* (at least is feels like since you freeze your a-- off if you don't wear a coat.) So my assumption is that is was initially frozen and then defrosted while in the refrigerated room. Long story short, I wouldn't have a concern refreezing it.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Agustine

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
Looks more like a rib section of the pork belly to me but hard to say from the photos. I say this just from the way the meat and fat in the one pic looks like a rib section. Nothing wrong with it if it is, just not a true pork belly for bacon  >:(
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Ahh man. Not a true pork belly
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

Help please ( pic )
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
Ahh man. Not a true pork belly
I wanted a true pork belly for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
I would use it...For your intended purpose - I don't believe you will see or taste any difference.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
I have always maintained that there is nothing wrong with re-freezing meat as long as it was defrosted and kept refrigerated at below 40*.
The restaurant depot near me does not keep its larger cuts of meat in the freezer but in a large refrigerated room that is below 40* (at least is feels like since you freeze your a-- off if you don't wear a coat.) So my assumption is that is was initially frozen and then defrosted while in the refrigerated room. Long story short, I wouldn't have a concern refreezing it.

exactly.....the danger zone for cooked meat is 40-140 degrees, even though we cook out all the bacteria, a whole new set evolves for cooked meat while standing.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:38:33 AM »
I would use it...For your intended purpose - I don't believe you will see or taste any difference.

X 2. Looks like a belly to me.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
It's indeed a belly. I'm cooking now. I'm cooking it on the pit barrel if anyone wants to see the cook I'm gonna put it on that forum/thread. Thanks guys
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »
It's indeed a belly.

Yep, that's a pork belly (same as what's used for bacon).  It's just not trimmed all nice and straight like we often see them!

It can be confusing because the term "pork belly" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Not all butchers call them pork bellies;  some call it "side meat", which is really a more accurate description.  Pork bellies actually come from the outer SIDES off of the lower rib section (spareribs), extending back to the belly area (hence the name).   Most of the time they've had the spareribs, and other meat trimmed off, but you can find whole sides.

I was going to post earlier, but since I was heading to the butcher anyway, I waited so I could snap a pic while there:

My butcher sells them both trimmed, or bone-in, as "Fresh Side Meat".  The Bone-In is the full side with spareribs still attached.

Hope this helps, and can't wait to see it cooked on your PBC!

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Help please ( pic )
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
I have always felt Restaurant Depot goes out of their way to confuse people with their meat labeling. Like you need a PhD in butchery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 05:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the good info cliff. And yes a lot of the labels at rd are hard to understand. On a side note I burned my pork bellie. I was watching a guy on YouTube. He cubed it and cooked on the pit barrel cooker for 3 hours , than braised it covered with foil for another 2 and than sauced them for 10 mins or so. I made the mistake of not using my own judgement. Half of my meal was toast :(
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker