Author Topic: Weekend in Chicago  (Read 1666 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Weekend in Chicago
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
My wife booked a little excursion to the windy city about a month ago, just a little getaway for the weekend. When she booked the trip, we had no idea that the weather would be cold, rainy and even a little snow but oh well, we made the most of it!

I will attempt to tell the tale as I saw it unfold. Join me on my trip to........Chicago!

This may surprise a good many of you, but I had never ever been on a plane before this trip. I wasn't nervous in the slightest, not even from excitement. I was utterly calm at the idea of flying in a metal tube with wings full of fuel, hurtling along at 583mph at an altitude of 37,000 feet. I made peace with it. It is what it is.

DAY ONE

We had a 7:50 Saturday morning departure, we got up at 4:30am and left the house about 5:00am, my wife wanted to make sure we were there early to account for parking, security screening and boarding. Surprisingly it took most of that time, we had maybe an hour wait before boarding.

Here's my view form the little window on the 737, just before takeoff at Hartsfield.

So, once in the air and after having our in-flight snack, I got a little picture happy :)

Everything's good so far, right? Well, this is what we landed to in Chicago. 37° and raining

We rode the train to the hotel, THAT was an experience! My wife didn't like it at all and said that we would be taking an Uber when we were coming back to the airport to leave, lol.

Once in the hotel we took a little nap of sorts, just to get our appetite ready for our first Chicago meal. Al's #1 Italian Beef!

We walked there from the hotel we were staying at (The Allerton) and were good and cold by the time we got there so I was more than ready to warm up to a nice hot sandwich. We ordered 2 Regular Combos with provolone and spicy peppers, dipped of course ;)

The real deal - Al's #1 Italian Beef

Now, not to upset any Al's fans but there was a spice on there that my wife and I didn't care for. We've eaten plenty of Italian Beef Sammies in our day, this had top notch ingredients but something was amiss in the spice department. If I had to guess, it's Al's signature spice to differentiate his product. Not a fan of it really but the sammy was enjoyable otherwise.

We went back to the hotel and chilled a little more, watched T.V while drifting in and out of consciousness. We then decided to go eat dinner, the MAIN thing I wanted to try :) Giordano's Pizza!!!! I was giddy to finally eat Chicago Deep Dish Pizza IN CHICAGO!!

Bundled up and back out into the cold we went. We ordered some cheese curds as an app (mozzarella) and they were divine!

After about a 45 minute wait for the pie, it showed up and we finally got to eat what I had been looking so forward to : Pepperoni, bacon, sausage (sassidge, lol), salami. Lots of cheese, could've used a little more suace in my book but I was a HAPPY fella.

This one is the SMALL!

And, just to make you want to eat it MORE, take a look at this video

Our bill for Giordano's

Sadly, we couldn't eat it all and took some back to the hotel

Unfortunately for us, the hotel room did NOT have a fridge or a microwave. I ate the smallest of the 3 pieces before bed and the other 2 were wasted :( I couldn't eat any more and paid DEARLY for what I did overindulge in that night.

DAY TWO

We woke up to temps in the high 20's with rain, surprise surprise as Gomer Pyle used to say. Ugh. We got dressed and headed out to a place called Sunny Side Up. It's an old house that was converted into a breakfast joint, 3 stories high with a basement level Coffee Shop. Very cool place.

Stephanie ordered a $5.00 hot chocolate and stuffed French Toast (the best she's ever had) and I ordered a 2 egg breakfast (must be ostrich eggs) called The Chicago Way. Apparently it's a thing to order pancakes in place of toast if you like, for no extra charge at that! Me Like Pancake :P We don't have that option here in Atlanta. Chicago=1 Atlanta=0

I tried hard, I really did.

Our bill for the meal

About to bust at the seems, I somehow made it down 2 winding staircases and out into the rain. We went back to the hotel and let our food settle a bit and then called an Uber to take us to the day's activity. The Field Museum! They had an exhibition on Mummies that sounded like it would be neat.

Very Impressive Place!

This was the entrance into the Mummy Exhibition, of course, like a kid, I ran in and hid from my wife, or at least tried to. Apparently I don't look Egyptian enough ;) :P

Random Museum Pics

We came upon another exhibit that showed a mummy lying on a CT Scan table, ready to go in so I asked a gentlemen that worked for the museum where the line started for THAT ride. He said "Come again" and I pointed to the CT, he was just mildly amused, lol! :P

After visiting every exhibit, watching a 3D T-Rex movie, we again called for an Uber. This time we got dropped off at Portillo's for a late lunch/early dinner (more on that later!).

I wanted a Chicago Dog, in Chicago, so that's what I got. It was FANTASTIC!

Steph got a Chili CHeese Dog, no onions. I didn't get a pic of her dog but we also ordered a double cheeseburger, fries and drinks.

The burger was as big as your head! After eating our dogs, we didn't put very much of a dent in that burger, MAYBE 30% was eaten. Into the trash it went (damn hotel not having a fridge!!)

Portillo's Bill

We walked back to the hotel, watched Star Wars movies (marathon, as usual. Why do they ALWAYS have Star Wars marathons on?). Well, I should've been more than full from the day's eats but I only had a short time in Chi-Town and I wasn't going to leave w/o trying Lou Malnati's. I didn't want another deep dish, so I had a thin crust sausage delivered to the hotel at about 8pm :)

If this was indicative of what their Deep Dish is like, I'm glad I went with Giordano's!! It's was just meh, okay, not great.

DAY THREE

Overnight it snowed and we woke up to 28 degrees with snow flurries and a little snow on the ground. Being from Atlanta, we don't see a whole lot of snow so Stephanie was happy! She LOVES snow (I'm sure that would change if we lived in a place like Buffalo or Chicago, lol)

We had planned on going to the beam but the weather was just too raw for us Southerners :P We opted to go eat breakfast at a place called Eggsperience Cafe on W.Ontario. The walk there wasn't too bad, the wind gusts as the wind filed through the buildings was a little breathtaking at times. The same effect happens walking in downtown Atlanta, only not nearly as cold this time of the year.

While we waited for our food, I shot this quick little video

We both ordered the same thing, a 2 egg breakfast, scrambled with American cheese, hashbrowns and bacon with pancakes in lieu of toast. That still baffles me, being able to swap out 2 big old pancakes in place of flimsy little toast :)

On the way back to the hotel, I took a pic of this building that I thought looked really cool.

We went back to the hotel and hung around until checkout at noon. We then had many hours to kill so we went to the Water Tower Place Mall and piddled around, split a chicken sandwich at Mburger (nothing special at all)  and then went back to the hotel, we checked our bags until we were ready to head back to O'Hare to wait for the trip home which was 6:40 Chicago time. We took Uber there and then sat for about 2 hours (talk about FUN!)

The ride home

The Pilot was cooking with gas on the way back, we arrived about 25 minutes ahead of schedule! I liked that, I was ready for my own bed. I just had to pay the crazy parking fee at Hartsfield and then drive home. I was exhausted but happy that I got to have this trip. The only bad part was waking up early the next morning to go to work. I should've allowed a recovery day. Lesson learned for NEXT time :)

That's about it folks, thanks for hanging in there with me through this novel of a post, lol.

Next Stop.....Austin Texas again???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:49:27 PM by RG »
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: Weekend in Chicago
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Looks like you both had a good time in spite of the crappy weather.  That's the best thing to do, just make the best of it and do what you planned on doing. Which looks like you planned on eating!!   :P
Looking forward to day two, it's way too easy to eat too much when the food is so good.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »
Pizza looks great!!!!!!!! Chicago is a fun town
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Sound like a great time RG!  My wife and I will occasionally hop on the Amtrak from the  Milwaukee Airport $60.00 round trip per person and take it Chicago the train station is just a couple block's from the Sears Tower ( I still call it that) and we'll grab lunch and walk around by Navy Pier and just a make a day of it. Good times when the weather nice.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

Re: Weekend in Chicago - Updated
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
Day Two's shenanigans have been added, Day Three tomorrow.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip... thanks for taking us along :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip... thanks for taking us along :)

It was a fun trip, glad you've made it through the first 2 chapters, lol!

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
As a life-long Chicago native (actually I live an hour north...but close enough) and pizza aficionado, I can tell you that Lou Malnati's and Giordano's deep dish are quite different.  Giordano's crust is more doughy, where Lou's is a bit thinner on the bottom and crispier on the edge.  Lou's thin crust is definitely meh, but you should have ordered their deep dish.  If you have a chance, I suggest ordering it.

As for Portillo's, everything they serve is great, from the hot dogs to burgers to their crinkle-cut fries.  They have a good chocolate cake and an even better cake shake (a piece of cake is mixed in with shake).  My wife loves Portillo's and there is one right by her work.  For our anniversary last year, I gave her a Portillo's gift card.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:49:59 PM by KJRsmoker »
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
Lou's thin crust is definitely meh, but you should have ordered their deep dish.  If you have a chance, I suggest ordering it.

I believe that Lou's Deep Dish is better than their thin but as I said, I didn't want another stuffed pie, just something light before bed, lol!

Actually, I wasn't going to even order Malnati's, I was going to order some other place I can't recall at the moment but I didn't want to pay $10 for GrubHub to deliver, Lou's was cheaper so they got the nod. I may go back at some point, go to the Pier and also to see the "Beam" at Millennium Park. We never got to go to those places. Crappy weather put the kibosh on that.

You're a lucky man to live so close to all that wonderful food :) I have people tell me that about being in Atlanta but I guess I take it for granted. I would choose to eat in other cities, experience what they are known for. To me, that's the best part of travelling!

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
Day Three added to the book. That's a wrap!

Offline bamabob

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:23:35 AM »
What a great weekend Jason.   Looks like you and Steph had a great time.
I haven't been to Chicago in a number of years but always enjoyed the great food. 

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
What a great weekend Jason.   Looks like you and Steph had a great time.
I haven't been to Chicago in a number of years but always enjoyed the great food.

It was a fun trip, I wish the weather would've been nicer. I didn't mind the cold so much but some sunshine would've helped immensely. Lesson learned though, Chicago's Spring starts much later than Atlanta's spring I guess :P

Offline bamabob

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
Next time you'll have to try a pizza pot pie at Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on North Clark St.  Get the Mediterranean bread for an appetizer.  Cash only.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »
Looks like it was a great trip, and more than enough great food! 

We were in Chicago about five years ago.  What a great eating experience!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
Great trip and photos RG!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch