Author Topic: Must....resist....buying....another....cooker!!!  (Read 1682 times)

Offline rwalters

Must....resist....buying....another....cooker!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
I say go for it Jason.  I'll take your KBQ off your hands!!

Question about pellet poopers, is it possible to get a clean burn, in other words, very little smoke?  such as with the keg when I burn royal oak, I can bake around 400* and not get a smoke taste in breads or pies.
I say go for it Jason.  I'll take your KBQ off your hands!!

Question about pellet poopers, is it possible to get a clean burn, in other words, very little smoke?  such as with the keg when I burn royal oak, I can bake around 400* and not get a smoke taste in breads or pies.

That KBQ is a permanent fixture here my friend :) As for baking on a pellet grill, I have only done pizza and it didn't taste smoky so I am guessing it would be clean enough for bread and pies. Maybe someone else will chime in and add their two cents.

In my experience, the smoke on pellet grills happens during the ignition at low heat but as the firepot starts producing flame (high temps) the newly added pellets from the hopper don't really have the time to produce smoke. They ignite much faster, producing heat rather than smoke. That's my take on it anyway.
Yep, at higher temps (>350°, especially >400°) pellet grills produce very little smoke. The only time you’ll really get much smoke at the higher temps is if you are cooking with a dirty grill... than it’s just burning grease smoke (not exactly what you’re after). I bake on my MAK a lot, especially during the summer. It’s pretty much our warm weather oven as I can’t stand turning on our kitchen oven on warm days.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)