Author Topic: Why did I wait so long??  (Read 2951 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Why did I wait so long??
« Reply #-1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
I have seen you guys and your fancy schmancy Instant Pots and although I kept talking about getting one, I just never got around to it. Well, I finally did it! Although not an actual "Instant Pot" brand, it is an electric pressure cooker. It's made by a company I've never heard of before but it had really solid reviews on Amazon so I got it. What made me finally get one you ask? Beans. Yep, plain and simple. I obtained a top secret recipe for baked beans from a BBQ joint that I have frequented for years. I've always loved his beans, they were unique. To my surprise, I somehow got him to e-mail his recipe to me! I was amazed, it was like the holy grail of baked beans, lol. You already know BBQ guys don't like giving up secrets but I caught him at a week moment. In the e-mail, he asked me to not share his recipe so I told him I would keep it safe.

Back to the beans, he uses dry beans, no canned stuff so I took his recipe and scaled it down and soaked the beans overnight. Cooked them the next day and although they tasted close (a little too sweet) they were NOT tender as they needed to be. I have a regular pressure cooker but to be honest, it's a pain so I started thinking about the Instant Pot again :) I ordered it, made some adjustments to my scaled down version of his recipe (the original recipe calls for 20 pounds of beans!!!!!) and proceeded to make the most tender pot of beans and I nailed the flavors on the 2nd attempt. I didn't even actually transfer them to a baking dish and BAKE, cooked the beans, drained them off, added the goodies, let it rock in the pot on the "keep warm" function until dinner. Awesomeness!

My wife made a chicken and rice noodle dish. It took 3 minutes! I was floored! We then made a 2.5 pound chuckie pot roast in it for Sunday dinner. Excellent! I am a fan to say the least! I don't normally do glowing endorsements for products but I am going to leave a great review on Amazon for this sucker :P

I want to try and make some yogurt in it but after reading the recipe in the book it came with, I was a little disheartened to see that one of the ingredients was actually yogurt, lol!!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Why did I wait so long??
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Sounds good , but dang now your making me want one  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
Don't know why you waited so long..had mine for a few years now..my electric one..got rid of 4 of the old fashioned jiggle ones..and never looked back..I make stuff like a dozen eggs..6 minutes and put in ice water  and the shells literally slip off..Rice pudding is only a few minutes..2 or 3..cut up potatoes for potato salad and add 4 -6 eggs with the potatoes..6 mintues and all is done..cool eggs and make potato salad. I did collard greens recently..about 25 -30 minutes depending on the amount..perfect. You can use any pressure cooker recipe..just have fun with it..just do a search for pressure cooker recipes and you will find literally millions of them  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
Sounds good , but dang now your making me want one  :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't want to go all crazy and say it's life changing but........it kind of is. Here's the one I got : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QJNK8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a lot of features for the money. It lets you cook 2 dishes at once if you want, it's got a basket that fits inside. Not sure if they all do that or not. I may never even use that feature but who knows?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
Don't know why you waited so long..had mine for a few years now..my electric one..got rid of 4 of the old fashioned jiggle ones..and never looked back..I make stuff like a dozen eggs..6 minutes and put in ice water  and the shells literally slip off..Rice pudding is only a few minutes..2 or 3..cut up potatoes for potato salad and add 4 -6 eggs with the potatoes..6 mintues and all is done..cool eggs and make potato salad. I did collard greens recently..about 25 -30 minutes depending on the amount..perfect. You can use any pressure cooker recipe..just have fun with it..just do a search for pressure cooker recipes and you will find literally millions of them  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I am looking at recipes for it all of the time, lol. It's fun to cook in it. I am definitely going to try collards in it, great idea Pam!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Congrats RG! The one you bought actually looks a lot like the Instant Pot. I had an off brand one that worked well, but you couldn't adjust the pressure, etc. So we bought the 6 quart Instant Pot Ultra. We are having a lot of fun with it and working on new recipes all the time. Between the Instant Pot, the NuWave induction burner and my air fryer we have the "inside the house" cooking covered. Actually since we started using all 3 most of the time our electric bill has gone down. Can't beat that with a stick!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:02:13 PM by HighOnSmoke »
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
You are going to find more things to cook with it than you can imagine. Have fun!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
Congrats RG! The one you bought actually looks a lot like the Instant Pot. I had an off brand one that worked well, but you couldn't adjust the pressure, etc. So we bought the 6 quart Instant Pot Ultra. We are having a lot of fun with it and working on new recipes all the time. Between the Instant Pot, the NuWave induction burner and my air fryer we have the "inside the house" cooking covered. Actually since we started using all 3 most of the time our electric bill has gone down. Can't beat that with a stick!  ;D

This one lets you adjust the pressure and has a nifty little pressure gauge graph that shows you what's going on. We have an air fryer as well but haven't used it much. The NuWave has me intrigued!

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
You are going to find more things to cook with it than you can imagine. Have fun!

Thanks man, off to a good start I'd say :)

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »
Okay RG, you said you told the guy that you'd keep the recipe safe, But, then you said that you tweaked the recipe a tad, so here's what I'm thinkin'. If you gave us your recipe, his would still be safe, right? C'mon RG, SPILL THE BEANS, and nobody gets hurt! ;)

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
Okay RG, you said you told the guy that you'd keep the recipe safe, But, then you said that you tweaked the recipe a tad, so here's what I'm thinkin'. If you gave us your recipe, his would still be safe, right? C'mon RG, SPILL THE BEANS, and nobody gets hurt! ;)

LOL, I see the logic in that but all I did was scale it down to a smaller version since I didn't want to even attempt cooking 20 pounds of beans. I don't know what I would do with that many beans  :P

It's still his recipe, just in 1/20 scale, lol

I'll give you a few hints though. It's got great northern beans and some onion :)

Offline BobDE

• Lower Slower Delaware
    • Random Thoughts and Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:52:11 AM »
Our crock pot died and Margo and I did separate research on which crock pot to get as a replacement. We both thought that we should try the Instant Pot.

It was the best decision ever. She uses it all of the time. Fast and easy!

The yogurt and cheesecake are amazing. She is always trying something new and we are rarely disappointed.

Evidently we are not the only ones impressed as there are tons of blogs dedicated to recipes and methods! LOL
Napoleon Prestige 500 with GrillGrates
Charbroil Big Easy SRG
Camp Chef FTG600

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
Our crock pot died and Margo and I did separate research on which crock pot to get as a replacement. We both thought that we should try the Instant Pot.

It was the best decision ever. She uses it all of the time. Fast and easy!

The yogurt and cheesecake are amazing. She is always trying something new and we are rarely disappointed.

Evidently we are not the only ones impressed as there are tons of blogs dedicated to recipes and methods! LOL

I am always late to the party I guess, lol. I wish I had gotten one much sooner, now I just have to make up for lost time I guess :)

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
Darn it RG just when I told my son last night no more cooking items........you write this post. ;D ;D

Hey have fun with it & send some beans our way
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
I have to admit that I use ours to make boiled peanuts more often than any other single dish but it also gets a good workout cooking almost any soup or stew or other recipe that took too long or was a PITA to make before. I rarely use canned beans or hominy and find it's the best way to make the dried bean and dry hominy dishes we love.

It doesn't do everything but lots of what it does, it does better, faster, and easier than any of the "more traditional" methods (slow cooker, stovetop, Dutch oven, etc.).

It's really kind of funny  - if we have to make something for a gathering (at home or elsewhere) we'll often cook it in the Instant Pot and transfer it to a slow cooker for serving (easier to carry).

But wait!! There's more!! Even a turtle can expertly (and easily) make true "one-pot" meals and handle the cleanup.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion