Author Topic: Can someone explain beef ribs to me please  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Can someone explain beef ribs to me please
« Reply #-1 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »
What I think I know : plate ribs are the ribs that come from , when you make a boneless prime rib. I find these very delicious, but I only make them if I buy a bone in prime rib and butcher it up myself. Do they sell these ribs in stores ? If so do they go by another name ?
      Now short ribs are in sams club and they sell them cut up , meaning individual ribs. There meant for braising I think. And they cut them in such a way the bones are all over in 3 or 4 round spots on each rib. I seen in restaurant depot  something labeled short ribs and they were left whole . Like a nice rack . Are these ( short rib ) racks from restaurant depot ideal for a low and slow bbq ?
        I want to make beef ribs preferably from the prime rib or short rib or something else. I’m lost. If someone can educate me on this I would appreciate it.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Can someone explain beef ribs to me please
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
I've seen beef ribs at supermarkets, a local butcher would be able to get them if they don't already have them. They aren't as meaty as short ribs. I've done the short ribs whole low and slow, and they are amazing.  Take longer than you think but with the 2star you pop in a probe and relax.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
*IF* you can find them....get a full rack of beef ribs - and treat them as you do pork ribs. Just BIGGER... ;D They are my favorite.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
What I think I know : plate ribs are the ribs that come from , when you make a boneless prime rib. I find these very delicious, but I only make them if I buy a bone in prime rib and butcher it up myself. Do they sell these ribs in stores ? If so do they go by another name ?
      Now short ribs are in sams club and they sell them cut up , meaning individual ribs. There meant for braising I think. And they cut them in such a way the bones are all over in 3 or 4 round spots on each rib. I seen in restaurant depot  something labeled short ribs and they were left whole . Like a nice rack . Are these ( short rib ) racks from restaurant depot ideal for a low and slow bbq ?
        I want to make beef ribs preferably from the prime rib or short rib or something else. I’m lost. If someone can educate me on this I would appreciate it.

Sam's also sells the short ribs whole. You just have to ask them. They will call them plate ribs. I have bought a lot of them from Sam's and they are great either cooked as is or braised. Just tell the butcher at Sam's you want plate ribs and not cut.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Ok. So ...... if I can get short ribs , that’s gonna be good bbq? I wasn’t sure. Beef ribs are confusing to me. Short ribs are or are not the same ribs from the prime rib ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:53:30 AM »
What I think I know : plate ribs are the ribs that come from , when you make a boneless prime rib.

Beef ribs are confusing to me. Short ribs are or are not the same ribs from the prime rib ?

No, they are not the same.  Trust me; you're not the only one confused. This used to throw me too. The reason is because we call a cut one thing on a pig, and something else on a cow.  See if this helps clarify things a little.

The ribs cut off of a rib roast (prime rib, or second cut) are part of the back ribs (upper half of the ribs), just like the back ribs from a pig, aka "Loin Back" or "Baby Back" ribs. 

Now, Beef Plate Ribs are a section of the short plate (the lower half of the ribs), where short ribs come from.  You can think of the short ribs (short plate) as the beef equivalent of pork spareribs, and beef plate ribs kind of like St. Louis cut spareribs.

Short ribs can also be cut Korean style; cut across the rib bones into thin cutlets.

Edit:  Chuck Ribs (sometimes called Chuck Short Ribs) are smaller ribs from the front where the ribs go into the shoulder (or chuck).
Thanks to RG & Big Dawg mentioning them below. I'd forgotten.

Hope this makes better sense!

I've cooked them all and ALL are good BBQ, but the short ribs are typically easier to find and generally a better bang for your buck. 

The "Full Racks" Tee mentioned are back ribs, and as big as they are, they are still not the full rack (which is really huge).  They are typically a seven bone section of the back ribs.  When you can find some that are meaty, at a decent price, they are awesome!  By far my favorite too!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:01:27 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of beef ribs, I recommend the long short ribs. Most supermarkets will cut them in half length wise. But at my Publix I ask the butcher for uncut short ribs. They come in two packs of 4 ribs each. Usually you can ask them to break down the package to lesser quantity. I cook them low and slow until they are toothpick tender. (toothpick can go thru like butter. I won't wrap them in foil, I will now and them wrap them in butcher paper.
Usually they are tender around 200 -205ish.
In my area it is hard to find back ribs with a lot of meat on them, once in a while you may luck out. That is why I stick with long or uncut short ribs.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
Restaurant Depot does carry the ribs you're looking for. There are sold in a 2 pack, 2 racks of ribs with 4 bones each. They may be labeled as plate ribs or chuck ribs, I can't recall. These are what you see at BBQ joints. Like Tee said, cook them whole like pork ribs, slice individual ribs when you're done cooking. They take about 6 hours or so. My wife LOVES them, I have to be in the mood for them, they're very rich and unctuous. I much prefer brisket over them BUT......they are great when used in stuffed manicotti with cheese sauce.

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

Can someone explain beef ribs to me please
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:24:17 PM »
Short ribs low and slow in a braise are outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
Restaurant Depot does carry the ribs you're looking for. There are sold in a 2 pack, 2 racks of ribs with 4 bones each. They may be labeled as plate ribs or chuck ribs, I can't recall. These are what you see at BBQ joints. Like Tee said, cook them whole like pork ribs, slice individual ribs when you're done cooking. They take about 6 hours or so. My wife LOVES them, I have to be in the mood for them, they're very rich and unctuous. I much prefer brisket over them BUT......they are great when used in stuffed manicotti with cheese sauce.

You wicked, wicked man....I am salivating at the visualization of that.... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »
Here's what the ribs from Restaurant Depot look like:

Every time I've bought them there, they've been labeled Chuck Ribs and, as described, they come in a heavy vac seal package with two racks of four bones each.  I'm guessing they are the same, or similar to, what Sam's will sell you as a rack of Short Ribs.

Either way, they are the very BEST ! ! !

BD

(PS: I would, personally, stay away from Beef Back Ribs.  At least the pre-packaged ones.  I've never seen any that have enough meat on the bone to justify the time and effort.)
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »

Plate ribs are part of the short ribs. I actually like the back ribs I assume. Back ribs are from the prime rib roast. ( I think lol )
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 06:29:53 PM »
Here's a good overview of the various cuts of beef ribs from Amazingribs.com:  https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/science-beef-ribs

Plate ribs are actually getting tough to find in Texas because restaurant demand is so high; I've got a butcher that will stock them but most big box grocery stores won't.  Restaurant supply stores (and occasionally Costco) will stock them as well, as RG noted.

I'm also a big fan of chuck riblets carried nationwide through Walmart; it's a Cargill product and is typically two small four-bone sections.  Lots of flavor in a small package, and at a reasonable price.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »

You wicked, wicked man....I am salivating at the visualization of that.... :D :D :D

LOL. You can blame my wife for that one. I found a picture of it, not the most flattering one but they are very tasty.

They make a great slider as well, onions and beer cheese! Great, now I'm hungry :P

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »
DANG IT RG!!!!! You just keep making it better -( OR WORSE.. :D ) GAWD that looks good!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401