Author Topic: Cooking question  (Read 415 times)

Offline Inxider

Cooking question
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »
I got my 1st brisket as I type this on the grill.

I’m just wondering as I was supposed to spray it with water or similar but was to impatient.

So this would be more for the next one.

1-Any pro or cons to using Oil for the spray process? Or just stick with water.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCP2S3B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g14JDb192332E

2-I read to prove the meat until tender that kind of hard to understand for a new person anyone goes by that or remove at a specific temp? At definitely don’t let pass a specific temp for slow vs fast?

3-Water pan, does it have to go directly above the heat source?
Or next to it is fine?
I placed under the meat next to the heat source now I’m wondering if it needed to be above the heat.

4-Do you flip the meat at what point? By time? by inside temp?

Thanks.

Offline Salmonsmoker

Re: Cooking question
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
YouTube Aaron Franklin BBQ. He has a brisket tutorial that will get you on the right path.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
as he said.

as far as temp- i never go by temp with a brisket. I use a temp probe or a toothpick to test the tenderness. When in goes in like butter it is done. I have had them go anywhere from 195* to 210*
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Inxider

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »
Would check those videos.

Does he cover temp what is better to have the top or bottom more open than the other one.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 06:16:01 PM »
Would check those videos.

Does he cover temp  YES
what is better to have the top or bottom more open than the other one. NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE ASKING
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
what grill are you cooking this on?
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
...as far as temp- i never go by temp with a brisket. I use a temp probe or a toothpick to test the tenderness. When in goes in like butter it is done. I have had them go anywhere from 195* to 210*

Same here.  I don't even bother checking the internal temp of a brisket. 

Just a little more detail added to what Gus said:  When you stick a probe in the brisket to check for tenderness, if there's any resistance then that means it's not done because the connective tissues have not yet broken down (no matter what the temperature is).  Just cover it back up and check again in about 30 minutes.  When it's done the probe will slide in easily (almost like soft butter).

Once done and tender, you can let it rest, if you want, to let it cool a bit before handling it, but for brisket (or pork shoulders) done with this method the rest is not a necessity, because you know the meat fibers have already broken down, so there's literally nothing left to rest.  If it's done way ahead of time, then by all means wrap it and stick it in a cooler to keep it hot until ready to serve.

Spritzing/Mopping is a personal choice.  Some guys love spritzing or mopping and some don't.  Just be aware that if you do spritz or mop, it will add time to your cook because every time you open the lid heat is lost.   I gave up spritzing/mopping years ago.

What you spritz or mop with is also a personal choice. 

Water pan: First, a water pan is not always needed.  If you live in an area where the humidity is high, you probably won't get much benefit (if any) from a water pan.   Here in Ohio, during the Summer, when humidity is high, I don't add one.  But during the Winter, when the air is dry, I some kind of pan or a couple cans of hot water to the pit.  Why hot water?  Because it starts adding humidity right away.

It can be a large flat pan underneath the brisket, a loaf pan, or even just a couple tin cans set somewhere in the pit.  The key is if the air is dry, then get some humidity into your pit!

Here's a brisket I did during the late Winter with a simple can of hot water added.  In the second pic you can see the water is basically gone, meaning it did its job.

That's my 2¢, for what it's worth!  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Inxider

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »
Gusrobin, I mean is there a rule as to which one should be more open than the other one.
Intake or exhaust.
What is the easy way to control temps. Exhaust open all the way and use the intake to control it?

Bamabob I ended up gettin the Broilmaster C3

Tenthunter
Wow thank for the tips,
That can next to the brisket is genius.

The brisket came out dry as hell, I’m embarrassed to post a pic but it was my fault for leaving it overnight.

This Tuesday I would try another one with this extra knowledge I acquired this past few days.

It seem that the injection is also personal preference.

Wow so much stuff.

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »
Read through this at your convenience.  It is an "approach" not a recipe.  It's gotten over eighteen thousand hits here on LTBBQ.  It'll take the heartache out of this tough cook for you.

Hub

https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=617.0
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN