Author Topic: Change of Plans  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Change of Plans
« Reply #-1 on: August 01, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
I had thought that I was going to live in my current house until they rolled me out to the Crematory.  But sue to some pretty significant life changes, that my not now be the plan.

One option that I'm considering is joining the RV World.  I've got a daughter right here near me, along with a couple of grandsons, and another daughter in St. Augustine.  I'm retired from teaching and work remotely (responding to "tickets") for a company that develops educational software.  SO, I can get my check deposited, and work from, anywhere.

So, one option I'm considering is getting a motorhome/toy hauler (gotta bring the Indian) and maybe a Jeep or something to two behind.  My understanding is that if I live at least six months per year in Fla., I can claim residency there and forgo my state income taxes. 

I know that we have a few members here that have the traveling bone and I am looking for some advice.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Change of Plans
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »
Smoker Pete comes to mind...I think he is a "mobile" BBQer....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
Better be able to document that residency requirement. East coast states are very aggressive in punishing people for leaving. Do a search and you will see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:27:36 PM »
Better be able to document that residency requirement. East coast states are very aggressive in punishing people for leaving. Do a search and you will see what I mean.

Thanks.  Yes, I know.  I've got a cousin who lives in Jersey and is thinking along the same lines.  He makes waaaaay more than I do and will be keeping residence in Wildwood.  I'm not looking to make this kind of a move anytime soon.  So, I'm gonna be able to see how he fairs first.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Lines

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »
Good luck to you Big Dawg. Getting "off the grid" sounds more appealing than ever.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:49:16 PM »

Thanks.  Yes, I know.  I've got a cousin who lives in Jersey and is thinking along the same lines.  He makes waaaaay more than I do and will be keeping residence in Wildwood.  I'm not looking to make this kind of a move anytime soon.  So, I'm gonna be able to see how he fairs first.

BD
The stories I've read did nothing but make me angry. Especially New York. Should be illegal the lengths they go to to trap people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:13:42 PM »
Congrats my friend.  You deserve it.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Roget

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »
V & I have seriously considered selling our home (of almost 40 years), & buying a new motor coach. Not sure we can financially afford to keep the home and do it.
We have an older coach at present but very seldom use it.

I just wonder if I would be happy not having a "home base" to come back to. I think I would miss all my "home stuff". All my cooking toys, swimming pool, bar, big screen TV, etc.
The subject keeps coming up, & like you we just can't bring ourselves to make the jump. If we decide we can keep our home & do it we very possibly will. we have traveled in our current coach quite a bit, and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't know about making it "full time".

Hope I gave you some food for thought.  :thinking: :thinking:
Good luck on whatever decision you make. I'm sure it will be interesting.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »
The stories I've read did nothing but make me angry. Especially New York. Should be illegal the lengths they go to to trap people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't doubt it.  They're going to finding more and more folks fleeing regardless.

I know that NC will likely make it difficult, but, I'll stay in Fla. for a year, if needed, if I decide to go this route.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
Good luck to you Big Dawg. Getting "off the grid" sounds more appealing than ever.

Yeah, that is a part of the determination ! ! !

V & I have seriously considered selling our home (of almost 40 years), & buying a new motor coach. Not sure we can financially afford to keep the home and do it.
We have an older coach at present but very seldom use it.

I just wonder if I would be happy not having a "home base" to come back to. I think I would miss all my "home stuff". All my cooking toys, swimming pool, bar, big screen TV, etc.
The subject keeps coming up, & like you we just can't bring ourselves to make the jump. If we decide we can keep our home & do it we very possibly will. we have traveled in our current coach quite a bit, and thoroughly enjoy it. I just don't know about making it "full time".

Hope I gave you some food for thought.  :thinking: :thinking:
Good luck on whatever decision you make. I'm sure it will be interesting.

Thanks for the info, Roget.  Since you already have a motor coach, just wondering if you have any thoughts on models/features to look for or avoid, etc.?  (Feel free to PM if you don't want to go on the record.)

I have one daughter in Concord, NC and another in St. Augustine.  I'm hoping that I can use them as bases of operation during different times of the year.  I'm thinking that I would use the St. Augustine address as my "primary" address as I would be likely spending at least half the year there to establish residency for tax purposes.  She and her husband really, really like my cooking, so I could probably talk them into letting me store my Weber 26er in their lanai . . . . .

I'm also thinking that I would put a lot of my stuff, like furniture, big TV, etc., in storage in case the "on the road" thing doesn't work out.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:13 PM »
watching closely...not sure about the motor home, but I love my camper.  like 40 years worth, and I could live in Florida again. I have family there also.  Is bookmarking the only way to keep up with this conversation?
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:47 PM »
watching closely...not sure about the motor home, but I love my camper.  like 40 years worth, and I could live in Florida again. I have family there also.  Is bookmarking the only way to keep up with this conversation?

I think you can click on notify and you will be get a notification of any new responses.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »

Yes, you can qualify me as a "mobile" BBQer. We spend at least 4-6 months on the road with our Class A Motorhome (limited right now due to Covid-19 issues). I carry my Green Mountain Davy Crockett WiFi Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill with us.

Have smoked/cooked some great meals on the road. I love the smell of Hickory in the morning!! It's a great conversation starter. I've never had anyone complain about the smoke.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »

Yes, you can qualify me as a "mobile" BBQer. We spend at least 4-6 months on the road with our Class A Motorhome (limited right now due to Covid-19 issues). I carry my Green Mountain Davy Crockett WiFi Control Portable Wood Pellet Grill with us.

Have smoked/cooked some great meals on the road. I love the smell of Hickory in the morning!! It's a great conversation starter. I've never had anyone complain about the smoke.

I've been primarily a Weber guy, doing most of my cooing on the 26er.  But I figured a pellet grill would be the better choice for the mobile lifestyle.

As I get closer to the decision, I'd like to lean on your experience before settling in on a Class A.  (Pellet Pooper as well ! ! !)

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Lines

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »
I saw a brand new Weber pellet grill at Lowe's last night for $999.00. Can't think of the model. Looks nice! Too big for traveling use I think.