Author Topic: Tonight on BBQ Central Radio: Myth-busting Meat Resting  (Read 2370 times)

Offline PatioDaddio

Tonight on BBQ Central Radio: Myth-busting Meat Resting
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
FYI - My friend Meathead Goldwyn is going to be on Greg Rempe's BBQ Central Radio Show tonight (first hour - 9PM EST) doing some mythbusting on resting meat post-cook. Should be interesting.

http://thebbqcentralshow.com/

Or, watch live on OutdoorCookingChannel.com

John
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:45:47 PM by PatioDaddio »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Tonight on BBQ Central Radio: Myth-busting Meat Resting
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
I like Meathead. He has some good articles on his website. Sometimes I don't agree with him though.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
That was an interesting watch.

I've always wondered about resting, because with steaks I honestly can't tell much difference between one that I cut into right away versus one that's rested for ten minutes. I always loose some juice either way, especially with bigger cuts like Rib Roast...  I don't mind; that's what my bread's for - sop, sop! ;D

I think how sharp a knife is plays a bigger role than resting. If the knife isn't good and sharp you have to press more on the meat and that alone will squeeze more juice out.

For pulled pork shoulders, I only rest if the shoulder is done before I'm ready to pull. Otherwise, I absolutely cannot tell the difference once it's pulled. I always add some of the foil juice back in anyway and the meat just soaks it up along with the flavor.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!  :P
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:34 PM »
Dang, I missed it. I've always wondered about the "resting thing".  Do the "juices" really go back into the meat? Is this possibly another myth like searing sealing the juices in the meat or don't wash mushrooms because they absorb water? I was hoping to catch the show, but had a conference call I had to be on. Is there an archive?

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline PatioDaddio

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
You can catch the podcast starting tomorrow.

John

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
John - Thank you!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »
I'll go out on a limb here...missed the show, will try to get the podcast tomorrow, and am only guessing at what his position was...a'gin it.

The physical science is that muscle fibers twist as they cook and the moisture therein is wrung out like a wash cloth. As the meat cools and the fibers relax (a bit not completely as they were pre-cooking) some of the moisture is re-absorbed into the fibers much the same as if you were to relax that wash cloth whilst resting in a bowl of the squeezins. It's not a complete re-absorbsion and there is moisture loss. Of course cooling meat juices also tend to thicken a bit and that can affect the amount of loss one might experience when you cut 'hot' meat vs. cooler 'rested" meat.

OK...I'm out there, looking forward to see how far apart Meathead and I are on this.   8)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
I'm with "the Whilster" on this one.  Let it rest.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline PatioDaddio

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Here you can read his research/take in advance of hearing him talk about it.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

John

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »
As usual, Craig presents a thoughtfully articulated argument - but he also sets up straw dogs in his argument to prove his position, and while I like him and find most of his concepts about recipes to be valuable and oft times tasty - I also find his scientific methods, uh..questionable.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:42:09 AM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline PatioDaddio

Re: Re: Tonight on BBQ Central Radio: Myth-busting Meat Resting
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
As usual, Craig presents a thoughtfully articulated argument - but he also sets up straw dogs in his argument to prove is position, and while I like him and find most of his concepts about recipes to be valuable and oft times taste - I also find his scientific methods, uh..questionable.

Would you care to expound on the "straw dogs"? I assume you're referring to straw man arguments.

He has an MIT-trained scientist on retainer and contributing to his work, so he's obviously got some serious scientific horsepower and credentials behind his findings.

John
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:16:23 AM by PatioDaddio »

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:41:31 AM »
Above all else, Craig is a showman who likes attention, controversy produces attention. He's not wrong, not saying that...just saying his scientific approach is, at times, suspect. He cites ancedotal references without providing more specific reference points (maybe I didn't see them) and I'm not really impressed with his "body" of work.  As I said - I truly appreciate his POV and his passion and his recipes and techniques, advice on methods, etc. good stuff.

an example - I don't like that he redefines the food temperature standards to suit his tastes, rather than indicate his adjustments to the established standards as his desired or recommended...he causes confusion for those new to cooking. (He's the authority who produced temp guidelines for Grill Grates) As to his testing criteria, fortunately I have been exposed to some of the comprehensive efforts undertaken by Cornell and MIT trained scientists responsible for white papers on dehydration of food vis-a-vis a certain outdoor grill mfg I had some association with ... and have a sense of understanding of just how difficult it is to set up scientific standards for a food test. He doesn't appear to have done the exhaustive work to truly establish credibility for his findings.

And with all due respect to his 'science for hire' - it is, exactly that. Science for hire.

Is it interesting? do I concur that all moisture is not retained and there is some loss? and do I pose a reasonable explanation for how muscle fibers actually expell and abosorb moisture in an uncooked and cooked state?  Yes - I think so. And I haven't discounted his position, just suggest it's - per usual - headline grabbing and designed to invigorate his web site traffic. Thass all...he's an excellent businessman.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:44:13 AM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
Well here are some of my observations about the article...

It does not seem to take the "steaming" of the hot meat into consideration. IMHO when you cut a hot steak or other meat there will be internal steam released that is moisture. This moisture loss IMHO can cause a dryer cut of meat. Perhaps there is more moisture on the plate when a rested steak is cut because the steam has condensed back into the meat after cooling causing more moisture in the meat than when hot. When those sliced pieces of meat steam they are going to dry out!

And another way to beat carryover temps is just to simply pull the meat 5 degrees lower than your target temp for steaks and chops. And 10 degrees on larger cuts of meat. Not an excuse to instantly carve meat right off the smoker/grill IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
Above all else, Craig is a showman who likes attention, controversy produces attention.  . . . Yes - I think so. And I haven't discounted his position, just suggest it's - per usual - headline grabbing and designed to invigorate his web site traffic. Thass all...he's an excellent businessman.

You nailed it right on the head, Barry.  Where I come from we have a saying, "All hat and no cattle".

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
I like Meathead. He has some good articles on his website. Sometimes I don't agree with him though.

Meathead has a great site and good readings on lots of different styles of cookers!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32