Author Topic: Daughter's Boyfriend  (Read 1027 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Daughter's Boyfriend
« Reply #-1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
This will likely - hopefully - become a regular post. No pictures this time, because by the time I realized what was happening, there was no time to grab a camera. But, I think future pictures will make up for this unicorn post...  ;D  ... Just sayin....

My oldest daughter - Emma 15 - and her boyfriend Will decided to make dinner last night. It was the first night over 60*. They decided to grill some chicken for a salad and some garlic bread. I really wish I had taken pictures as they managed to use a dozen or more bowls, dishes, plates, cups, etc to make their "salad". At first I was directed to stay away - this was "their" dinner. But later I was asked to help as the charcoal was not working.

Will had put a bunch of charcoal in the 500X and doused it with a gallon or two of lighter fluid. Of course the coals never lit. After running through the contents of my lighter fluid, they asked for help.  Please remember, this is a 15 year old kid that has NEVER cooked outside. He was doing his best. By the time they asked for help time was running out. Will had to be home soon. So rather than teach him about a chimeny lighter right now - we saved that lesson for next time. I showed him how to fire up the SRG with the grill top to do his chicken and some bacon for the salad.

We put the garlic bread on the coals he had going on the 500X.

The (unicorn) dinner was very nice. It's hard to mess up chicken breasts on the SRG even if it's your first time as it was for poor mister Will.

Will is a good kid. He has a couple of older brothers and his parents have moved on. But I look forward to working with him this summer. We'll go through all the cookers and I will help him understand how to light them, load them, use them and shut them down. Look for some cooks with Will and me this year. We are going to have some fun. And the best part, I think we'll get Emma to cook with us... this will be a lot of fun....

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Barry CB Martin

Re: Daughter's Boyfriend
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:32 AM »
allergy season...
thanks David

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
David,  That's great.  I wish we could get more youngun's interested in outdoor cooking.  I know how close you are to your two girls who seem to really like your cooking.  I know CB has a soft spot in his heart for youngun's cooking and has expressed interest in getting something going in that arena.  Ain't heard much about it in awhile probably because he has had other, more close in alligators to fight.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:38:57 AM »
Sounds like she has a winner there.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:50 AM »
You are a good father David! That young man is lucky.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
Lighter fluid????
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:34 AM »
Will is very lucky to have you around to educate him.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
David..that is too cute..that boy will be a gourmet chef when you get done with him, you might need another job cause I know young boys can eat. Have fun with them and keep the camera close.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
what a GREAT story
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:43:02 PM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
Lighter fluid????

LOL I keep it around for my PBC.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:01:40 AM »
Thank you for all the great comments! Yes, Mister Will is a good kid. My wife and I always say that we wish they had met a few years from now... he IS a keeper. But I look at Capt Jack and say - who knows... they could last. Will calls me Dad 2 and my wife Mom 2 - he is a great guy and I look forward to cooking with him on the deck this summer. We've done a few pastas this winter in the kitchen. The kid has some chops and is fun to work with. So, we're looking forward to a great season on the grills. We'll be posting some pictures and stories.

Cheers,

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
what a GREAT story

I started dating Debbie when she was 14 & I was 16. Her dad, Charlie became my 2nd dad. Oh how I miss him!
I learned SOoooo much from him
If you keep working with Will you'll never get rid of him even if your daughter moves on to someone else  ;)

Thank you, Capt Jack. I hope they can last, but if they don't, that's ok. I would never want to get rid of Will. I look forward to his company for years to come. I know you get this and I appreciate that.

David
Member #

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »
Charlie has 4 daughters, no sons
Debbie is the youngest
he taught me how to work on cars
took me fishing in his boat in West Galveston Bay all the time
I hunted with him on his deer lease for years
learned to butcher for & make Texas smoked venison sausage from start to finish
cook fund raising Gumbo dinners for hundreds (have a great 5gal recipe)
was one of my sponsors when I joined the Masonic lodge
I could go on and on..... but you get the picture
King of the OldSmokey

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
I do get the picture, you are a very fortunate man. I only hope I can do some part of that with Will.
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Daughter's Boyfriend
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
Great story and a great night to be cooking outside. Why we manage to stay in Minnesota.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109