Author Topic: Getting ready to head down to the local kitchen store....  (Read 698 times)

Offline dawrecknq

Getting ready to head down to the local kitchen store....
« Reply #-1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
to teach a basic BBQ class for the ladies. Tonight, we are going to prep a brisket, pork butt and some ribs. Tomorrow, we will fire up the Yoder 1320, the VUDS's and the charcoal grills to cook said meat above, along with pork loin medallions and ribeyes on the barby (for those Aussies who might be hanging out). Discussing the history, differing cookers, differing techniques of cooking low and slow vs grilling (hot and fast). It should be fun and hopefully we have a good turn out.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Have fun Dan! I did a demo cook/sampling last Sat. and we ( myself, ACW3 and Stephen Fletcher ) handed out over 1000 samples A fun time was had by all :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Getting ready to head down to the local kitchen store....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:24:32 PM »
Sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Getting ready to head down to the local kitchen store....
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
I just love to be involved in something like that. Have fun.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Good times.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
Post your results/experiences when you've finished -- what went well, what didn't.  I'm going to do this (a basic BBQ class) as a church fundraiser this fall.  Right now I'm thinking 3 sessions:  One on steaks, one on ribs and chicken, and one on "roasted" meats like brisket or butt/shoulder.

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
Hub- Here was my basic idea for the class. We met last night from 6:30 to about 9:15; covering the monontenous job meat prepping. We started out and seperated a whole brisket (Flat from point), trimmed, injected and rubbed. We then trimmed, injected and rubbed a pork butt. Our last lesson was prepping 3 racks of ribs. Covered the differences in grilling, smoking and introduced them to smokrilling. Talked about direct vs indirect, wet vs dry smoking; etc. Then, of course, the instructor went to class about 5:30 this morning and started the cookers (4 cookers/3 styles); my Yoder 1320, a VUDS and two cheap KMart/Walmart charcoal/wood grill. The wind really kicked up today like 20-30 steady, with gusts; always makes it fun! Cooked on the Yoder and the $75.00 Wally Special. Started the pork butt and brisket before the ladies came in at 9:00. Did the whole smoking methods, foiling brisket, butt and ribs, etc. We also covered some grilling and cooked a ribeye and pork loin medallions. Showed how to make a pellet pouch for the charcoal cooking,etc.
Was trying to show different techniques and show what I believe are the myths in grilling. When I put my steak season on the ribeye, the poked it with a fork, the ladies about freaked out. Said they had always been told to never pierce steak or it will be dry. Told them that after I pulled the steak from the grill, if I could not hold it over a plate with juices running out and on to the plate, I would refund all their class fees. Cooked a 1.5" thick ribeye to medium well/slightly well to test it. Wish I had made the agreement that if it was as juicy as I'd said they had to pay double. They were astounished when the juices were all over the top of the steak! I win!!!! Made some of my Jazzy Juice injection for the brisket today, just to show them how. We were going to make some rub, but ran out of time. Let them taste test my new sauce, they all loved and are on the waiting list for more of it! It was a successful day.

What didn't work out so good- I was a little disappointed in my ribs and brisket; they thought they were excellent and the best they'd ever eaten. They haven't eaten too many! The brisket was fairly juicy and tasted pretty good, but I feel it was over cooked just a bit. I didn't foil at a low enough IT to get it where I like it. But, with being distracted teaching, I guess missing it some should be expected. The ribs; again, just a little over done. The steak...made up for both!!! Wish I had been at a steak competition!!!

The store.... made about $750.00 in additional sales, which can A) be directly attributed to the ladies taking the class or B) Customers who overheard our discussions and took the advice I was giving participants. The Manager... was extremely happy with the results of sales. She is wanting to book me for more classes, which I don't mind. I didn't make as much money as I usually do, but if it helps build attendance and interest; I am willing.

I did have one lady ask me if I could do a wedding; maybe 150 people. I told her I might be interested, depending on time frame and a bunch of other things we would have to work out. How many of us would take on a wedding? Just curious! If you have, can I get some feed back?

It was definitely a great time and the ladies were great. They were in a mood to learn and had obviously spent time thinking of questions and what they wanted to learn.

Right now, I am extremely sore and tired!!!!!

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:49:16 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the feedback.  I really appreciate the update and knowing what happened. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Your welcome Hub; I have some pictures coming that one of the ladies was taking throughout the class. When I get them, I will try to post a few.

Dan

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
Great work, Dan...I'd like to be in one of your classes.

B T W, next time you're in middle GA, gimme a call.  I'll fix something to eat and you won't have to.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
That is an invitation that you might regret! But one that I would never turn down! Thank you my Friend!

Would love to share a pit with you and talk cooking anytime!

Dan