Author Topic: and then there is Texas ;-)  (Read 1951 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: and then there is Texas ;-)
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
All good - but you can't leave Les Paul off this list...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:15 AM »
I know we are WAY off the topic - I am sorry for the hijack. But as I listen to these, I am struck by how some of these legends have continued to develop and grow as they got older. Les Paul was well over 80 in the last clip. One of my favorites in this way is Leonard Cohen. He was never a "star" for his performances although his music was covered by many "stars." His voice was never the "big thing" but as he's gotten older, he's gotten better. A lot like Joe Cocker. Leonard's last tour was epic...

If there was one person I would want to see live and even more to meet it is Leonard Cohen. I've had the great good fortune to see and meet many of my music heroes. But this one is the ultimate for me.

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
Don't forget about Eric Johnson.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
Oh my goodness, yes! He plays like a flamenco guitarist on an electric guitar! Way too many credits for a 2 minute video, though.
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
I appreciate Eric Johnson for his technical skills...but - to me - he lacks the creative fluidity of some of the old time greats like Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, or even Earl Klugh. He seems "thin" on melodic phrasing.
I can listen to him, but I find his style more mathematically correct, and a bit mechanical.
Again, not to dis-credit him, it is just a style preference
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
I appreciate Eric Johnson for his technical skills...but - to me - he lacks the creative fluidity of some of the old time greats like Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, or even Earl Klugh. He seems "thin" on melodic phrasing.
I can listen to him, but I find his style more mathematically correct, and a bit mechanical.
Again, not to dis-credit him, it is just a style preference

George Benson comes to mind, if he would just stop trying to sing and stick with the axe.

I met Randy Rhodes when I was in high school. He was playing with Quiet Riot at the time (before they got big). That guy had the fastest fingers ya ever saw. We were glad when he hooked up with Ozzy.....it was a sad time when we heard of his untimely death............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
Interesting thread direction.  After 30+ years of having a guitar around my neck, I find myself with a rather unique perspective.  I very much respect the virtuoso players like Eric Johnson, but I would still rather listen to Willy Nelson beat up on his acoustic.  Probably my favorite guitarist to listen to (and who I think is a great talent as well) is Rich Brotherton (plays for Robert Earl Keen).  I mostly like guys who can fit in with a song.  I also like a song that plays like a song and not just a collection of notes and words.

P.S. CaptJack - Mark Knopfler is a genius (and of course so is Chet).  Thanks for posting that.  I haven't seen it in a while.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
No argument.

But, one of my favorites was Frank Zappa. Here is one of his last interviews - no music and it IS long.

Member #

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »
Glad to see Stevie Ray got some love early on ... but there are so many good Texas blues guitarists like Albert Collins, Johnny Winter ... and Freddie King always puts me in a whiskey mood whenever I crank up my blues playlist on my iPod ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16AnGcB7MHA#at=142
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:28:41 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
That's nice! A great song to riff to. But my favorite for this one is Bill Withers -
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »
I know I am WAY off track here. But the last post made me think about Bill Withers and my favorite track from him -Grandma's hands...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:06:59 PM by drholly »
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
Bill Withers is one of my all time favorites too Doc!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 12:25:19 AM »
Bill Withers is one of my all time favorites too Doc!

Ditto that!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
Wonderful - I love flamenco. I will add this to my "list." Thank you!

When I lived in Hawaii (mid 70's) there was a new restaurant / bar being built in Waikiki. In the very early days they had a guitar player - Hank - that played some great flamenco as well as some excellent old stuff - mostly Gordon Lightfoot. I spent almost every night there nursing a beer for hours. In the beginning I was the only person there. This brings back great memories! Thank you.

Cheers,

David
Member #