Author Topic: and then there is Texas ;-)  (Read 1952 times)

Offline CaptJack

and then there is Texas ;-)
« Reply #-1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:38:54 AM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: and then there is Texas ;-)
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
And who says Texans brag...? :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
Screw you - love it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
SRV was always one of my favorites. My friends in high school thought I was crazy for not following the "right groups." I was strange, but loved this! But, then I also liked Miles Davis... go figure...  ::)
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:51:31 AM »
I loved Segovia. That had to be great to be able to see him live. I was able to see Don Ellis live in Hawaii - up there with Miles Davis in my mind - but died too soon. I also bought everything I could find from Ramon Montoya. I learned the guitar just to play classical and flamenco. Unfortunately, neuropathy has taken my guitar and mandolin away, but I still enjoy listening.
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:57:59 AM »
Those were great clips! I remember when my fingers worked (never like that) and my best friend and I would play - I was on the mandolin and he was on the guitar. It was a blast! There is nothing like a good rag - guitar or piano - it is just America. Thanks for sharing these!
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:26:33 AM »
Great clips - thanks for pointing them out! I started on the piano as a kid and went to trumpet and flugelhorn (Chuck Mangione) in high school. I added guitar and mandolin (Seals and Crofts) along the way. But jazz has always been my main thing. Now my fingers don't move so well, but I still love the sound. Thank you for the links!
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:29 AM »
My mother made me play violin as a youngster, but I never did keep it up.  However, I still have that old violin, which is as new-looking now as it was then  ;D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:54:21 AM »
My daughters played violin and viola - I kept trying to play them but the fingers just don't work. I enjoy listening to Jean-Luc Ponty and Scarlet Rivera.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:56:38 AM by drholly »
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
Now you made me go out to the intertubes and look for music... Marc Knopfler has always been a favorite when I am on the deck - looking at the sky, cooking or just hanging out....

Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »
When I heard Jean-Luc Ponty I wanted to play the violin. My parents wouldn't buy one for me, so I saved my money and bought a mandolin. When I heard Scarlet Rivera I almost forgot about JLP over night - she was hot!

I'd never seen the video of Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins - wow! This is fantastic - thank you! It's magic. Dire Staits was fun, but his talent goes far beyond.
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
Love RWH until he starts opening his mouth about politics.  Hasn't Austin seceded from Texas yet?  :o
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »

and of course we can't leave out "ZZ Top". Billy Gibbons grew up in Houston. his original Houston band was called the "Moving Sidewalks". they played all the local venues when we were in high school. then he joined with Frank and Dusty in 1969 to form ZZ Top.

Oh yeah - gotta include ZZ Top! Nothing compares.
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
Never had the chance to see them live - I bet it is a blast! I do enjoy watching Billy Gibbons play Angela's father on Bones - I suspect most of his lines are his own and not scripted.
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
speaking of good guitarists

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32