Author Topic: Best of the West Mesquite lump charcoal  (Read 1501 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Best of the West Mesquite lump charcoal
« Reply #-1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
This was my first go-round using this mesquite lump for smoking and I am very impressed.
Not alot of sparking...I used a weed torch to light the lump in the fire-box..might be different in a chimney starter though.
Extremely large pcs..perfect for long burns...now the whole bag doesn't have all these large pcs...as far as I can tell a 40 lb bag probably has 20 lbs super large pcs with about 10 lbs more of the standard size lump with about 5-10 lbs kibble. Now I know that is a bunch of kibble but the extra large pcs more than make up for the kibble with the extra long burn times they provide. Also the ash production is real low so that is a plus as well.
Now I know mesquite might not be the most popular of woods but I talked to a regional sales manager for BOTW and she said they used to have a competition team that burned only mesquite lump and added fruit wood and they had real nice results...so I added apple chunks to the mesquite lump today and the small was real nice.
Around here in Socal (Fart and Final, Sams) these 40 lb bags run between 14-16 bucks...good deal......

Looks like Kingsford for grillin and mesquite lump for smokin..........

Check out the size of some of the lump pcs that were in the 40 lb bag...I have been told that there smaller size bags do not include these monster chunks so stick with the 40 lber bags...............

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Best of the West Mesquite lump charcoal
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
I imagine Kingsford may hold off on building their new plant now that you are trying a different brand :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
I will have to give corporate a call to let em know I will still use the blue bag for all my grilling needs  8)

Don't want any of the suits to jump out of those high in the air corporate windows....... ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »
Best of the West is pretty good , and the price ain't bad either. Just by looking at the aluminum foil, I can tell you hit up Smart n Final.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
Oh Yeah...good old Smart and Final. I get all my briskies and butts and ribs there!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven