Author Topic: A QUESTION from a simple guy...  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Jaxon

A QUESTION from a simple guy...
« Reply #-1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
I used 4 full racks in the Masterbuilt (meat was not touching) of beef jerky today.  There are only Deb and Me here and we don't eat a bunch of it.

I have vacuum-sealed most of it...

The question is this:  do I have to put it in the fridge or freezer - can I leave it out?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:52:49 PM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline hikerman

Re: A QUESTION from a simple guy...
« on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
A non-educated response...if it was thoroughly dried and vac-sealed, being kept cool should be enough.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
Mine never lasts long enough to go bad left out, although I do put it in the fridge if I'm saving it for someone that I don't see often.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »
I used 4 full racks in the Masterbuilt (meat was not touching) of beef jerky today.

I have vacuum-sealed most of it...

The question is this:  do I have to put it in the fridge or freezer - can I leave it out?

I have kept jerky in the fridge for weeks but it seems to vanish if not locked up in the freezer.  As long as you are vac sealing it you are good.  I never had too much luck keeping jerky out as people think it is for sampling and it ends up being gone.   ;D The problem is just putting it in a zip lock bag that will allow moisture to build up.  Best to have the zip lock open to allow moisture to escape.  Moisture will allow mold to take hold and then you have a problem.  A vac seal bag will keep it nice and fresh.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »
I did about 5lbs Saturday and was concerned about the same thing - no need to worry it's about all gone.  ;D
Love to cook and eat

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:16 PM »
Jaxon, a "simple guy?"   Don't think so!   BUT, jerky should keep even at room temp if cured and dried properly.    Our favorite source, a local meat market that makes several varieties, has it in bins on top of one of their meat counters.   Never refrigerated, much less frozen.   Easier to buy from him that go to the trouble to make it ourselves.   Have a recent deer kill in the freezer (not mine--older son's deer).  THINKING about making jerky out of some of it, but it's just sitting there right now!

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
If you did not use a cure, it really should be refrigerated.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »
If you did not use a cure, it really should be refrigerated.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd agree.  Although I never use cure, and have stored my jerky for extended periods, it has always been refrigerated.  However, I have kept it for a week or more  (and shipped it across the planet) at room temperature, it has been vacuum sealed, and has never developed a problem.  One reason is that the relatively high concentration of salt and sugar is preservative.  I also carefully examine for any bacterial or fungal odor and appearance, and have never seen either

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:21 AM »
what do you guys typical store your jerky in?
Love to cook and eat

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:49:37 AM »
Thanks guys...

We have several pieces in zip-lock bags (for immediate consumption)...the rest - about 45 -50 pieces we have vacuum-sealed.  We'll use them later - some as gifts for friends and my bro-in-laws.
When I went to Academic Sports and priced their jerky in 2. 5 oz packs, I calculated that a pound of jerky would cost about $20. I CAN make it for less.

BTW, I used the cure packets that came with it...does that mean it ca sit out for a while without danger?  I would like to be able to have it at room temperature and leave it out when we have a cookout.
<><

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
Jaxon The process for making "shelf safe" beef jerky involves using a cure like you have done but also requires that the meat reach a IT of 165F at the beginning of the dehydration process in order to pasteurize the meat.

The trick is to bring it up to this temp for a short time without actually cooking the meat. Just long enough for the IT to kill the bacteria. Running the smoker at 300F for the first 20 minutes would probably work then drop down to 150F for the rest of the process.

So I would say it is safe to leave at room temp vac sealed or in air tight container with a silica gel packet if you have pasteurized the meat.

Leaving it out at room temp for several hours should not be an issue IMHO.

Otherwise I would leave it regrigerated or in the freezer for longer duration storage.

But as others have stated it just does not usually last long enough at my house to even worry about it ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:16:26 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
I don't make or eat jerky but I've read about the dried meat and the pemmican the First Nation people made.  Didn't they just sun dry it and that made it safe to keep at room temperature?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
I don't make or eat jerky but I've read about the dried meat and the pemmican the First Nation people made.  Didn't they just sun dry it and that made it safe to keep at room temperature?

Was their meat processed by a industrial slaughter house or fresh? ;)

If I personally killed and butchered the meat myself I would be less concerned although I always error on the side of safety.

And if you have ever traveled to Mexico and drank the water you might have got sick. But there are people who do not like Mexicans that live there. The human body can build up immunities to pathogens. Maybe the Pemmican people had some immunities that we don't.

Also there are much more dangerous pathogens today and more abundant due to our huge population compared to when the Pemmican people were here.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
This is what I did:
I marinated the beef strips in a jerky marinade for about 20 hours in the fridge; then I set the temp in the Masterbuilt to 160*; when it reached 160*, I put the beef in and left it for over 3 1/2 hours; by then it had reached the texture I was wanting, so I took it out and let it cool.
I guess since I didn't get it to 165*, I'll need to keep it in the fridge.

Thanks for the info...very helpful.
<><

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »

Was their meat processed by a industrial slaughter house or fresh? ;)

If I personally killed and butchered the meat myself I would be less concerned although I always error on the side of safety.

And if you have ever traveled to Mexico and drank the water you might have got sick. But there are people who do not like Mexicans that live there. The human body can build up immunities to pathogens. Maybe the Pemmican people had some immunities that we don't.

Also there are much more dangerous pathogens today and more abundant due to our huge population compared to when the Pemmican people were here.

Well put, they also didn't have the life expectancy we have today with modern methods.