Author Topic: No flavor  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Pappymn

No flavor
« Reply #-1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
So the long suffering and I went out with some "friends" last night to a local mid priced steak place that has been around for decades. We both ordered "steak of the millennium" a 16 ounce sirloin.

On the way home we both commented that while cooked perfectly medium rare, the steak had no flavor. Sirloin is usually my favorite cut for price and flavor. Just stumped why this was......
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
Re: No flavor
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
Hmmm. That is odd. Maybe taste is all part of good breeding in cows too? ;D Or - the cow's diet????? I will bet he NEVER ATE HIS PEAS!!!!!! ( cotcha muebe......) :D :D :D

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
this is interesting .
Sirloin is also one of my favorite cuts and it is packed with flavor . maybe not been aged long enough .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »
Hmmm. That is odd. Maybe taste is all part of good breeding in cows too? ;D Or - the cow's diet????? I will bet he NEVER ATE HIS PEAS!!!!!! ( cotcha muebe......) :D :D :D

Maybe they were feeding that cow peas! :o :P

Pappy when I go out to a restaurant I rarely order a steak because they hardly ever live up to my steak standards. Really flavorful steaks have a lot of fat. Restaurants tend to use leaner cuts and trim too much because most people would say "Look at this steak it is all fat!". Fat is flavor.

Then they also go very light on seasoning because they are trying to cater to every palette unless it is a special steak like garlic pepper crusted for example. 

Most people reach for the steak sauce and drown out any possible flavor that might be there anyways ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
Did you go to the Sizzler Restaurant Pappy?  If there is steak sauce on the table that is a big red flag  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
Quote from: muebe
Pappy when I go out to a restaurant I rarely order a steak because they hardly ever live up to my steak standards.
Yep, same here.  People ask me where I go for a good steak and I tell them, "To the butcher, then home." I haven't eaten a steak from a restaurant in a few years now.

Pappy, I bet you've gotten spoiled used to them being cooked on a great grill and seasoned the way you like.  So steakhouse steaks will never be as good... ever again!  ;)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Im with the others on this but my other reason is I'm cheap. When we go out up here the bill is going to 100 bucks per person min. I can do a lot with that and I enjoy doing it. ;D

On the other hand you can't always stay home and be a hermit :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:28 AM »
The only time I have been truly impressed with a steak is when I went to Craftsteak at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. They have a thick cut Kobe beef steak that is seared and crusted in salt. Cooked just to above rare and sliced thin. It was so buttery and flavorful. Simply amazing!

But it was very expensive also. Everything there is from the chef's tasting menu and comes al-la-carte.

And Ruth's Chris has a really good steak but also very pricy.

Now Smoke mentioned Sizzler. Anyplace that inserts a stick in your steak describing how cooked your steak is has to be amazing ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

Now Smoke mentioned Sizzler. Anyplace that inserts a stick in your steak describing how cooked your steak is has to be amazing ::)

Please don't bad mouth their ribs...Smoke believes they are Nirvana ??? 8) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
I used to enjoy going out to eat and have had some great steaks over the years. The older I get the more I would rather just cook and eat at home. For the wife and me it would be at least $70. Like CDN I can buy a lot of steak for that price and fix it the way I want! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
Im with the others on this but my other reason is I'm cheap. When we go out up here the bill is going to 100 bucks per person min. I can do a lot with that and I enjoy doing it. ;D

On the other hand you can't always stay home and be a hermit :(
Quote from: muebe
Pappy when I go out to a restaurant I rarely order a steak because they hardly ever live up to my steak standards.
Yep, same here.  People ask me where I go for a good steak and I tell them, "To the butcher, then home." I haven't eaten a steak from a restaurant in a few years now.

Pappy, I bet you've gotten spoiled used to them being cooked on a great grill and seasoned the way you like.  So steakhouse steaks will never be as good... ever again!  ;)

I agree with all here. I rarely order steak when we go out because I am usually disappointed. I know that I can cook a steak more to my liking than most restaurants can. But I will say, a top sirloin from a steakhouse SHOULD have lots of flavor. Pappy my guess is that it was much too recently butchered. 

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
Agree all around. I think the last time I ordered a steak out was at Waffle House with some eggs and hash. As I remember it at 3 or 4 in the morning it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.  ::)
Love to cook and eat

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:56 PM »
Agree all around. I think the last time I ordered a steak out was at Waffle House with some eggs and hash. As I remember it at 3 or 4 in the morning it was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.  ::)

I hate being the designated driver when everyone else thinks the breakfast steak is "best ever."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:04:24 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
My guess is that it was imply under-seasoned.  Too many "I don't use salt" idiots in the world.  No matter how well prepared and aged, a steak needs properly seasoned.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »

I hate being the designated driver when everyone else thinks the breakfast steak is "best ever."
Someone has to take one for the team  ;D.
Love to cook and eat