Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 27023 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
Devo I like your little green house and spuds I had a neighbor try the potato stack, had two of them and I was there when he dug one of them. Hardly enough potatoes for a meal. Don
X2 and did he top grow or side grow the taters?Top grow didnt work when we tried it,trying the side grow,just an experiment.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
Devo I like your little green house and spuds I had a neighbor try the potato stack, had two of them and I was there when he dug one of them. Hardly enough potatoes for a meal. Don
X2 and did he top grow or side grow the taters?Top grow didnt work when we tried it,trying the side grow,just an experiment.
He did the top grow. I'll have to tell him about your side grow experiment. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
He did the top grow. I'll have to tell him about your side grow experiment. Don
Supposedly this is done successfully on farms in Mexico.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »
Nice little growing shack Devo ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »

With the weather hitting 105ºF today ... Way too hot for early June - actually, way too hot!!! ... the old garden is producing at full throttle.  Picked these tomatoes this morning before it got too hot   8)  8)

I'm thinking a tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad tonight with the smoked chicken  ;D  Maybe make me some Pico de Gallo ...

Great looking tomatoes, bet the Pico de Gallo turns out great.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »

Sure did! ...  Tomatoes and green peppers from the garden with red onions from the fruit/vegetable stand  ;D

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »
Very nice Pete. ;) ;D :P

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »

Sure did! ...  Tomatoes and green peppers from the garden with red onions from the fruit/vegetable stand  ;D

Awesome, just awesome looking.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »
We don't have any vegetables to eat just yet, but the lilies we planted last year are just stunning right now!

Can't believe how many blooms each one has!

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
Nice Kat and boy are lilies hardy.I dug out a bunch for the asparagus beds,they look great in buckets with no soil.Wish I had someone to give to,better ask neighbors.

My toms are are growing,saw my first flower on a cuke.Getting lots of buds opening on the citrus.Strawberries too.

Got the other asparagus area planted,now have 50 plants,25 bloomed already.

Offline spuds

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 06:16:51 PM »
Happy Chickens

Strawberries in pots,putting out runners,berries.Pulled a slug the size of my thumb,he didnt get the berries but got a couple of my cukes,instant duck food!

Dwarf fruit and citrus,this first year whole season here,3rd year starting their ages.Trimmed em up,pic doesnt begin to do them justice,they are gorgeous!

Base of 12x12 foot hoophouse FINALLY going in

Thornless blackberry and seedless green grape,both large enough to produce this year,require very little care

Offline spuds

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
New asparagus bed,50 plants,about 5x20 foot.Plants 1 week old are already coming up in newest section

From either end...

Potato cage with chicken guards

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »
WOW, Spuds, what a set up!!  :)  I haven't made the commitment to asparagus just yet, but would love to set up a permanent bed for them sometime.  I'm fairly new to gardening, so having to look forward that many years for it to produce anything is like discussing marriage on the first date!     
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »
Ive really redone my thinking.Now my priorities. Must make food.Must be hardy.Must come back year after year.Must be low maintenance.Asparagus sure is all that.No chemical insecticides/pesticides,if bugs kill them,and a natural predator doesnt surface,they are gone.Not wasting time or energy on that nonsense anymore.

Of course,yearly 'crops' are also welcome if they are producers.And make seeds.Really proud of my tomato seeds this year,though they got a late start Im still going to put them in.Never know,might get an Indian summer?

We have such a small yard Ive even pulled out the lillies,but still have bulbs that are awesome in areas nothing else would grow.Roses were just aphid magnets,have 2 left.The great 75 year old wild rose on neighbors side? Some charity thing cleaned their yard for them and they hacked it almost to death!  ??? That darn rose was huge,healthy and made AWESOME rose hip tea.Will take a decade to recover,grrrrr! :-[

Offline spuds

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
Baby grapefruits,wonder how many I'll get when said and done?