Author Topic: Why you should always use the parking brake  (Read 353 times)

Offline Pappymn

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Why you should always use the parking brake
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Oh, crap.  I have to assume he was in neutral and that lack of an e-brake wasn't the only issue.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
1. So he got out of the truck without turning it off and put in gear or in Park.
2. Did not lock the truck as the door was open.
3. Parking on a hill the wheels should have been turned so the back tires hit the curb.

I would bet that he violated several company policies and will be looking for another job.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
WOW!  ???
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Reminds me of the time when I was in the Air Force with a helicopter squadron (CH-3 Jolly Green) and we went on a cross country flight.

Our mistake was trusting that the Army guys at the base we flew to that they would put some chocks around the landing gear of our aircraft.  The aircrew had set the parking brakes and we maintetance guys double checked them before we secured the aircraft and departed.

So we left the base to go to the hotel and a night out on the town.  The AC on this trip got a wake up call at 0200 with the news that his helicopter had rolled of the ramp and was down in the grass.  The next morning we arrive at the base to see the Jolly Green sitting at a nose up angle with the main gear in the grass and the nose gear still up on the edge of the ramp.

The rotor blades were just inches from the top of the fuselage above the cockpit overhead observation windows and pitot tubes.  The aircrew did a did a great job of hovering that thing out of the position it was in with rotor blades just inches from shearing off the pitot tubes, which would have grounded the aircraft until repairs could have been made.

After the recuse manuver by the aircrew the rest of us maintenance guys boarded the aircraft and we flew on to our next destination.  Thinking we were home free until the CO back at our home base contacted the AC and wanted to know how his helicopter rolled off the ramp in the middle of the night. Appearantly the Army installation CO contacted our CO to inform him of what happened.  Needless to say there was a whole lot of explaining to do when we RTB and a whole lot of ass chewing followed.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
I bet that was his "Ah-ha" moment :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
The puppies looked to be having fun ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.