Author Topic: Lost Ball. It's the golfer's dilemma.  (Read 1755 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Lost Ball. It's the golfer's dilemma.
« Reply #-1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
It's the golfer's dilemma.

You're playing in the club championship, tied after 17 holes. You tee up on 18 and hit your drive 250  yards down the center of the fairway.  Your opponent goes next, but slices his ball into the woods.  You join him in the thick underbrush looking for his ball, and after about five minutes, he says, ''Go ahead hit your second shot.  If I can't find mine, I'll tee up again."

You agree, and you hit your second shot onto the green, 10 feet from the flag.

Just then, you hear your opponent shout, "I found it!" from the wood, and a few seconds later, his ball comes sailing out of the trees, lands on the green and rolls within inches from the flag.

Now here's the dilemma:  Do you pull the cheater's ball from your pocket and confront him over his  deception?  Or do you keep  your mouth shut and hope you can sink the 10-footer?

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Lost Ball. It's the golfer's dilemma.
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Whatever you decide, you never play golf with him again.  You give him his ball back at the end of the match  (discretely, of course), however the match ends, and remind him he owes you a BIG one.  Let him decide how he reports his score, and how he will pay it.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Lost Ball. It's the golfer's dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
Grew up playing with a cheater or he was crazy bad at math. Needless to say we did not play for money.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:24:47 PM »

You're playing in the club championship, tied after 17 holes. You tee up on 18 and hit your drive 250  yards down the center of the fairway.  Your opponent goes next, but slices his ball into the woods.  You join him in the thick underbrush looking for his ball, and after about five minutes, he says, ''Go ahead hit your second shot.  If I can't find mine, I'll tee up again."

Just then, you hear your opponent shout, "I found it!" from the wood, and a few seconds later, his ball comes sailing out of the trees, lands on the green and rolls within inches from the flag.

Now here's the dilemma:  Do you pull the cheater's ball from your pocket and confront him over his  deception?  Or do you keep  your mouth shut and hope you can sink the 10-footer?

Dee

Depends....

If you got a lot of money riding on the game - you whack him with a nine-iron, and push him into the pond with the big gator in it.... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:01 PM »
I'm not going to golf with "T" ???
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
Well...I *DO*  like honor, dignity and integrity when involved in  a sporting event...especially if money is in play. And....if not - a 9 nine iron will even the score.... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »
Well...I *DO*  like honor, dignity and integrity when involved in  a sporting event...especially if money is in play. And....if not - a 9 nine iron will even the score.... :D :D :D

I'm ok with all that, I thought you just like to whack people ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »

I'm ok with all that, I thought you just like to whack people ;D

That was a previous "career"...Now I am a moderator on a cooking forum :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:35 PM »

Didn't Elin use a 9 iron on Tiger?  ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »

Didn't Elin use a 9 iron on Tiger?  ::)

Exactly! And...problem solved! ;) ;D 8)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 12:49:48 AM »

Dee

Depends....

If you got a lot of money riding on the game - you whack him with a nine-iron, and push him into the pond with the big gator in it.... ;)

Tee, I use a one iron because God and a jury knows that no one can hit a one iron.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 02:37:43 AM »
Move on.  You got "caught" first.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
I believe that using my rules of Golf he would still win.  My rule of golf is .....if you find more balls than you lose.....You win  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
It seemed the older I got, the more balls I lost.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
I used to manage a golf store, and I had a couple of retirees working with me for discounts and to make a little extra $$. All three of us ended up playing one day, and I thought the two of them were going to come to blows over whether or not  you should always play the ball down, where it lies.

One guy used to say that as a beginner (which I definitely was), you aren't learning anything by hacking out of the woods, and he suggested tossing the ball back into the fairway, because you need to work on your swing and accuracy to build confidence. The other guy said he was full of $#!t and that was teaching poor golf, and moving the ball was cheating at best.

I guess my main concern was not having a ride back to town, since we were an hour away.

Long story short, I placated them by saying that it was ultimately up to the individual as to how they choose to play the game, and I chose to play the ball down because I could not have lived with myself had I cheated, even if just to help improve my game. Honesty is always the best policy, imho.

as far as the story goes, I agree with the idea of a quiet confrontation later and let the offender decide how they wanted to handle it.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen