Author Topic: Any Car Guys Here?  (Read 4451 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Any Car Guys Here?
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
I noticed that DR Holley wrote that he has a three-liter Austin Healey.

Here's what I'm messing with now.

First generation ('74) Bronco in background on lowered lift.  Top is hanging from the ceiling.  Pretty rough.  It was going to be for small party hunting and play off road.  302 CI V8, bored 0.060, 3-speed stick.  Block is from a '69 Torino GT but it's cammed for low-range torque.  Kinda' lost interest in it after my first ride in a Range Rover.  Now hunt out of a Yukon XL and a Quigley 4x4 Ford van 'cause we need a lot of room for the junk essentials we take.

'68 numbers matching Mustang, 200 CI I6, bored 0.060, head was milled a bit to true it up, 3-speed manual.  Amateur restoration (I can do interior, pull running gear and bolt it back in, and such), professional running gear rebuild, body work and paint.

'73 Triumph TR6, 152 CI I6, bored 0.040, 4 speed manual (electric overdrive on 3rd and 4th gears).  Same kind of amateur/professional restoration and rebuild as Mustang.

Am also an expert at turning oil into coke in Subaru turbos.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:43:13 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Any Car Guys Here?
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
Nice collection of classics you got there. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
Nice cars! I need to check my lottery tickets to see if I can get some.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm a "car guy" who doesn't own any except for my current Nissan pickup and my wife's Impala.  If I had a lot of money, I'd have a barn full of antique cars -- especially the "off" models that don't get heavy play like Hudsons and Studebakers.  Alas, I'm waiting on a lottery ticket, too.  The good news is that many of the BBQ contests where I judge or compete also have car shows.  Love to browse the grounds and remember great wheels from the 50's 60's and 70's especially.  Really, really , really, really wish I'd kept my 1965 Stingray  :(

Thanks for posting your collection and welcome!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:08:19 PM »
Nice project cars. I am a car guy too but don't have any classics. My sports car is a 2004 Dodge SRT4. It has a Hotchkis racing suspension, Stage 2 kit, Diablo Sport Predator programming. Runs on high octane when programmed to. It is pretty quick and fun to drive ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
I, too, am a car guy!  I can only drool over someone else's hard work.  Love to walk around car shows.  When my wife was walking a lot, she loves to look also.  My first car was a 1962 Bel Aire bubble top.  It only had a little old 283, but it had a cam and solids.  Four barrel, 4 on the floor.  4:11 posi rear end.  My Dad "gave" it away when I joined the Navy. I sure miss that car.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
I'm a wanna be car guy >:(

I wanna be a cabin guy first ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Paul,  That Bronco has really gone up in value since they were made.  I wanted a TR3 but had a '59 MGA and sold it for $400 before I went on an all expenses paid vacation to SE Asia.  Had a '65 289 mustang and sold it for $300 and there was nothing wrong with it.  Also had a '55 Bel Air before the Mustang.  Daddy sort of gave it away after I left home.  So you see I ain't lack, the ability to get rid of stuff that will  be good one day not realizing what I have when I got something.  I'm probably the only fellow here that ever got rid of a future classic car. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
Grew up building rods and muscle cars with my dad (early to mid 30s Ford, late 30s Plymouth and late 60s to early 70s Buick.  Still consider myself a car guy, but living half way across the country from my "partner" means that I no longer build.  My current ride is a 2013 Genesis Coupe with Track package.  I will admit it is a sweet ride.  The old man is actually jealous of it so that makes me happy in a twisted sort of way.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pmillen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »
I'm probably the only fellow here that ever got rid of a future classic car. Dee

Dee, I suspect that was tongue in cheek.  We've all sold cars that are now in demand.

I built a '33 Ford 3-window coupe with a 296 CI flathead when I was in high school.  When I met my wife I was driving a new '60 Corvette.  After we got married we had a series of street hemis and 440 wedges.  I'd love to have any of them back.

I sold my Corvette to Fred B. Scheel, the man that started the Scheels Sporting Goods chain.  I think it's still in the Scheel family.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »
TR6,very cool car.Had a 1957 MGA,british racing green,a dark maroon red 68 Mustang 289.Wife had a 68 fastback Mustang,as did her sister.My Mustang was destroyed by some gangbangers down the street.Sure was easy to pop in a new tranny,engine,or rebuild front end.

Then bought another 68 Mustang,stolen at work first weekend i drove it.Never seen again.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pmillen

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
Dee & Spuds, I love MGAs.  Would love to find an affordable one or an XK120 or 150, or a Morgan, or...  I'm not nuts about the Triumph but it was a good price.  A TR3 would have been more desirable.

All of my cars are low-dollar, not on the classic list.
Paul

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »
Paul, I remember when Scheels was a simple hardware store with some fishing equipment and a few bicycles. I bought my first 10 speed there... Now they are a sporting goods powerhouse.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:58 AM »
Dee & Spuds, I love MGAs.  Would love to find an affordable one or an XK120 or 150, or a Morgan, or...  I'm not nuts about the Triumph but it was a good price.  A TR3 would have been more desirable.

All of my cars are low-dollar, not on the classic list.
Oh my! A bud and I discussing cars,he sold his xk-120.Coming up hill today had our doors blown off by a right hand drive mini cooper,now thats a cool car too,he tracked by us like on rails!

Something that blew my mind,hand washing the MGA,those curves massaged your hands,amazing!

Bug eye sprite,a toyota 2000,also major cool,that toyota was fast!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:22 AM »
I guess just about every guy has loved cars at one time or another.  When I was a kid I looked at everything from old Jaguars to MGs (late 1950's to early 1960's vintage), but settled on a 1969 Chevy II SS 396/375hp with a full race Sig Erson cam, Holley 850 double pumper, Lakewood traction bars, rock crusher transmission (and of course a Hurst vertical gate shifter  ;D) - loved that car and never should of sold it.

In the barn I have an old Suzuki Samurai that I plan to refit with 4-link suspension, and swap out the old 1200 with a VW diesel - a project that is waiting for me when I retire.  There is also an old Fiat X 1/9 that my oldest wants to refit with Toyota running gear.  Lastly, an old (1974) 450 SL that I really should drive (has not been on the road in about 5 years).  It has 56k original miles.

These days I still like a fast ride - mine is the silver Subaru STI, my wife's is a rather rare Honda Mugen SI (only 1000 made), and at the far right is our youngest's new ride, a WRX

I'm thinking that I'll always be a car guy