Author Topic: Got a spammer phone call blocker  (Read 1055 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Got a spammer phone call blocker
« Reply #-1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:33 PM »
This thing really works.Blocks all calls without caller iD.When someone not on the approved list calls,they must press zero to continue,if they dont call is blocked.That stops robo calls. If they press zero and you want them to call,after they hang up from talking to you,press accept and their calls go thru automatically after that.Dont want that caller,press reject and never hear from them again.

60 dollars on amazon,Im sold,its the best thing since smoked BBQ.Get this,price drop,39.99, a STEAL at this price!

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1781BY/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Got a spammer phone call blocker
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
Haven't had a land line in years, but I could sure use that at work.  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:20 AM »
Will it block the In-Laws?  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:05 AM »
Will it block the In-Laws?  :P
Blocks inlaws and outlaws.The crud calls have almost disappeared,was getting about 5 a day,now less than one,and falling.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:57:07 AM »
There is a free service that works with all voip phones such as Vonage (which I use). It is called NOMOROBO. I just registered and installed it about a week ago and it works beautifully. Your phone has to have the simultaneous ring function. When a call comes in that is on the robo call list, it will ring on your phone and at the nomorobo call center simultaneously. After the first ring, if the call is a known robo caller, the call center will answer and hang up immediately killing the call. If you encounter a robo caller that still gets through, you just report the number and it is now on the list. I can still see all the numbers on caller ID just in case it blocks a call I wanted. I reported one that still got through a few days ago and now it does not get through because I can still see who calls on caller ID which is carried on the first ring. I am on the national and state DO NOT CALL list, and have reregistered on that, but it is simply not working very well anymore. I really do love this service and it is free. When my phone rings just once, I know that I was saved the headache of a robo caller. It is still not a totally perfect method because there are ways around it like using new numbers all the time, but I think that it is as perfect as it gets for the moment.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:17:05 AM »
We have a land line and cell phones. We just go to https://www.donotcall.gov/ and you can add 3 phone #'s. We don't get very many robo calls. I keep the land line because even during a power outage I can plug an old phone in, one that just has a phone hook up and no 110 power and it still works. During an ice storm we had no power and the cell phones were knocked out too but I still had my land line. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:48:18 AM »
We have a land line and cell phones. We just go to https://www.donotcall.gov/ and you can add 3 phone #'s. We don't get very many robo calls. I keep the land line because even during a power outage I can plug an old phone in, one that just has a phone hook up and no 110 power and it still works. During an ice storm we had no power and the cell phones were knocked out too but I still had my land line. Don

SD, that's the donotcall list I was referring to. By the way, remember that you have to renew your numbers every 3 years to stay on the donotcall list. It just isn't working for me as good as it used to work several years ago. Our electricity and cable and phone are carried on poles and after hurricane Ike, about 5 years ago, our electricity along with cable lines and phone lines was knocked out for 17 days. Luckily, the cell phone service was working and I never missed a call because I had programmed Vonage to forward every home call to my cell phone. I don't want this to sound like a Vonage commercial. It's just the service that I use. There are other VOIP's that are just as good.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:29:45 AM »

I am registered and still used to get the calls. Guess the government messed up for the first time :P

What stopped the calls for me was simply changing my phone number after moving ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
I am on the national and state DO NOT CALL list, and have reregistered on that, but it is simply not working very well anymore.

There are several ways for companies to circumvent the list.  The most common is to trick you into giving them your phone number.  They'll ask you to register for a drawing.  (Win this motorcycle or a week at this resort)  Those promotions are often run by contract telemarketing companies with several clients.  Once you give them your phone number you have given them permission to call you.  It's advisable to read the back side of those little slips of paper they ask you to fill out and even then they may not disclose their intent to put you in their database. 

"We do not share your information..." doesn't mean that they won't call you repeatedly on behalf of their various clients. 

Blocking phone numbers is somewhat of a stopgap measure.  Telemarketing companies can easily change numbers on their outgoing lines or buy equipment to modify their Caller IDs.

Those contest entries are also a great way for them to obtain your e-mail address.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »
I am on the national and state DO NOT CALL list, and have reregistered on that, but it is simply not working very well anymore.

There are several ways for companies to circumvent the list.  The most common is to trick you into giving them your phone number.  They'll ask you to register for a drawing.  (Win this motorcycle or a week at this resort)  Those promotions are often run by contract telemarketing companies with several clients.  Once you give them your phone number you have given them permission to call you.  It's advisable to read the back side of those little slips of paper they ask you to fill out and even then they may not disclose their intent to put you in their database. 

"We do not share your information..." doesn't mean that they won't call you repeatedly on behalf of their various clients. 

Blocking phone numbers is somewhat of a stopgap measure.  Telemarketing companies can easily change numbers on their outgoing lines or buy equipment to modify their Caller IDs.

Those contest entries are also a great way for them to obtain your e-mail address.

Paul those contests at the malls are great. When I fill them out I never use my number... I use Tim's :D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 11:47:11 PM »

I am registered and still used to get the calls. Guess the government messed up for the first time :P

X2.

Came home,three calls,2 hours apart. Gotta love those calls ....when youre sleeping!!!!Look up number,a solar spammer.Hit reject,will never hear from them again. 8)