Author Topic: Texas vs Notre Dame this Saturday  (Read 5412 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Texas vs Notre Dame this Saturday
« Reply #-1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
As some of you know, I have worked in the television broadcast industry for the same company for 43 years. I have worked 11 Olympics, a bunch of World Series, a bunch of Super Bowls, a bunch of Triple Crown races, a bunch PGA and USGA events , a bunch of NHL, a couple of years of Nascar, and a boat load of NFL games which currently are airing on Sunday Night. I have done virtually every sport on the books at one time or another. In all those years, I have not had the opportunity to work on a single University of Texas Longhorn football game....THE UNIVERSITY being my alma mater.

Well, that will change this weekend because the company I work for has held the contract to broadcast every Notre Dame home game since 1991. The Texas Longhorns will be their opponent this Saturday at 7:30 Eastern and I am excited and almost beside myself. I believe that Texas is a 10 point underdog, but I will do everything in my power to help them win. ("Honest, I don't know how that replay got erased.".... Well, it worked for Hillary.)

All kidding aside, I am as excited about this game as I have ever been about any game I have ever done. Since I graduated in 1972, I haven't attended one Longhorn game. I am also very excited about seeing The University of Texas Longhorn Band....the Showband of the Southwest. They never lost a halftime to this day. They allowed me to be a member in '66 and '67. I am going to lobby my director to show the band at halftime, but you all ready know how that will turn out. If you wanna see bands at halftime, watch the Bayou City Bowl in NOLA this fall when Grambling plays Southern. (We do that one, too.)

I am asking for your help to root for the Longhorns this Saturday....even if you're a Catholic or Regis Philbin or an Aggie (you know who I'm talking about, Tim). In return, I promise to root for your favorite team as needed. Thank you.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Texas vs Notre Dame this Saturday
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »
Hook 'Em Horns! ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
I hope Texas wins.

Y'all Don called me before he posted this and wanted me to know how excited he was about this Texas-ND game.  Then he said that the only thing that would top it and would be his entrance into the NBC Sports Hall of Fame would be to be involved in the broadcast of ANY ALABAMA game . THAT is what is the last thing on his mind before he slips off to dreamland every night.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
Gee...Don... This is a hard one for me...I don't like Notre Dame. And well - the TU Shorthorns...I mean you are asking me go against a sacred oath of loyalty.....

Well, for YOU...I suppose I can swaller my pride, drink enough, close one eye, and poke the other one...and...gawd..can I REALLY say it ....root ...for...TU....(OH the painnnnn.....) :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:51:18 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight - so, it is pretty easy for me to be all the way behind you! The best part is you finally get to work "the" game. Good for you. I hope you have a blast! Put your paw in front of the camera and wave to us!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:22:45 PM »
Well I guess I can give you one weekend of rooting. Enjoy yourself, you waited a long time.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »
This will be a tough one coming from a family that for my whole life has only rooted for two teams each weekend, the Aggies and anyone playing TU..... ;) but I'll give it a try. At least I don't have to be in Austin during any home game weekends for work.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
I will be pulling for the for you.  My two favorite teams are #1 Alabama and #2 whoever is playing Notre Dame.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:01 AM »
Being non-Christian and having "some Texas hidden here in my heart" I can back you to the hilt (except during the not insignificant time periods dedicated to my daily "pothole prayers" in support of Lost Arrow).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:57 AM »
Being non-Christian and having "some Texas hidden here in my heart" I can back you to the hilt (except during the not insignificant time periods dedicated to my daily "pothole prayers" in support of Lost Arrow).

I am joining you in LA's "pothole prayers". You might spend an extra minute on Houston's pothole problems, also. It seems our gay happy mayor is more concerned with a new law she made that allows grown men to use the ladies restroom than fixing potholes.  By the way, is the call to prayers going by Island time or Jackson time?

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 03:22:46 AM »
Gee...Do... This is a hard one for me...I don't like Notre Dame. And well - the TU Shorthorns...I mean you are asking me go against a sacred oath of loyalty.....

Well, for YOU...I suppose I can swaller my pride, drink enough, close one eye, and poke the other one...and...gawd..can I REALLY say it ....root ...for...TU....(OH the painnnnn.....) :D :D :D :D

Thanks, Tim. I know that was hard for you, but you will be rewarded greatly for your kindness.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:33:37 AM »
ANY ALABAMA game . THAT is what is the last thing on his mind before he slips off to dreamland every night.

Dee

Dee, I went to dreamland the other night, but I had a nightmare. I dreamed that Auburn is in Alabama and you said any Alabama game.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Well you got my support Don!

God bless Texas :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
As some of you know, I have worked in the television broadcast industry for the same company for 43 years. I have worked 11 Olympics, a bunch of World Series, a bunch of Super Bowls, a bunch of Triple Crown races, a bunch PGA and USGA events , a bunch of NHL, a couple of years of Nascar, and a boat load of NFL games which currently are airing on Sunday Night. I have done virtually every sport on the books at one time or another. In all those years, I have not had the opportunity to work on a single University of Texas Longhorn football game....THE UNIVERSITY being my alma mater.

Well, that will change this weekend because the company I work for has held the contract to broadcast every Notre Dame home game since 1991. The Texas Longhorns will be their opponent this Saturday at 7:30 Eastern and I am excited and almost beside myself. I believe that Texas is a 10 point underdog, but I will do everything in my power to help them win. ("Honest, I don't know how that replay got erased.".... Well, it worked for Hillary.)

All kidding aside, I am as excited about this game as I have ever been about any game I have ever done. Since I graduated in 1972, I haven't attended one Longhorn game. I am also very excited about seeing The University of Texas Longhorn Band....the Showband of the Southwest. They never lost a halftime to this day. They allowed me to be a member in '66 and '67. I am going to lobby my director to show the band at halftime, but you all ready know how that will turn out. If you wanna see bands at halftime, watch the Bayou City Bowl in NOLA this fall when Grambling plays Southern. (We do that one, too.)

I am asking for your help to root for the Longhorns this Saturday....even if you're a Catholic or Regis Philbin or an Aggie (you know who I'm talking about, Tim). In return, I promise to root for your favorite team as needed. Thank you.

Heh heh...I'll pull for Texas right up until they play OU in the cotton bowl...but I do that every year. 
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Don..I will help ya out since you rooted for my Buckeyes for me.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron