Author Topic: Why post cooks in general discussion?  (Read 2964 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Why post cooks in general discussion?
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »
Wow! This caught fire today, lol. I guess my whole point is that maybe less is more. I think that a singular"What's Cooking?" forum is all that's needed. Whether it be indoors or out, regardless of method. All of that gets explained in the post itself anyway. My wife, being new to here, was amazed at how many sub forums there were and she's right. In my opinion it's just too much to behold. Not meaning that as an insult but things are broken down so exactly that I think it begins to water down the whole experience. I do think less is indeed more in this particular area but again, it's just my opinion. I don't pay the bills here and I certainly won't boycott the place because it's not set up the way that I personally think it should be. Glad to be here, even more glad that y'all give my ideas 2 seconds worth of consideration!! :)
We are not like forums, ;)  no BS to put up with and everyone gets along.

I left a few other sites because of the pompous attitudes  and bickering

Been there, done that! Won't do it again. I was just thinking while I was out in the garage putting the Karubecue together, if we had a catch all for ALL cooks we could still  keep the respective sub forums such as Kamados, Pellet Grills, etc....but just use those as a discussion forum on how to use those cookers and also reviews/tips/troubleshooting of those cookers. With as many Moderators as we have here, it would be a breeze to clean those sub forums up and move the actual COOK posts into the new catch all sub forum, whatever name it would have. In my days as an Admin on another forum, I cleaned up a LOT of stuff, moved it to appropriate places and the users followed suite by putting their post where it made the most sense. It made things much easier to figure out, lessened the confusion quite a bit. Everything was sorted and easy to reference.

I can feel myself getting out of hand here so I'll back off, lol. Just trying to help, honest! Like I said, if it stays the same I still love it here!
Just get with TenthunteR (Cliff)   He will be the one to ask
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
Wow! This caught fire today, lol. I guess my whole point is that maybe less is more. I think that a singular"What's Cooking?" forum is all that's needed. Whether it be indoors or out, regardless of method. All of that gets explained in the post itself anyway. My wife, being new to here, was amazed at how many sub forums there were and she's right. In my opinion it's just too much to behold. Not meaning that as an insult but things are broken down so exactly that I think it begins to water down the whole experience. I do think less is indeed more in this particular area but again, it's just my opinion. I don't pay the bills here and I certainly won't boycott the place because it's not set up the way that I personally think it should be. Glad to be here, even more glad that y'all give my ideas 2 seconds worth of consideration!! :)

Been there, done that! Won't do it again. I was just thinking while I was out in the garage putting the Karubecue together, if we had a catch all for ALL cooks we could still  keep the respective sub forums such as Kamados, Pellet Grills, etc....but just use those as a discussion forum on how to use those cookers and also reviews/tips/troubleshooting of those cookers. With as many Moderators as we have here, it would be a breeze to clean those sub forums up and move the actual COOK posts into the new catch all sub forum, whatever name it would have. In my days as an Admin on another forum, I cleaned up a LOT of stuff, moved it to appropriate places and the users followed suite by putting their post where it made the most sense. It made things much easier to figure out, lessened the confusion quite a bit. Everything was sorted and easy to reference.

I can feel myself getting out of hand here so I'll back off, lol. Just trying to help, honest! Like I said, if it stays the same I still love it here!
Just get with TenthunteR (Cliff)   He will be the one to ask

I've said enough already :) I'll just sit back and do some cooking! I have to smoke like 7 butts and 6 chickens for a buddy. I've got enough to keep me occupied ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline stalag

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
This is a good discussion!

We have many members, like Regular Guy, who are very forum-savvy and just get where to post cooks.  Sometimes it's not clear where to post a particular cook. Maybe more than one cooker was used, or it's something that's not necessarily a recipe, and it ends up here in General Discussion.

That's OK,  it's ALL good!!!

The bottom line is we have a great staff of moderators who lean on each other, and do a really good job of keeping up with the forum.  Part of our job is to spot posts that could benefit from being in another section and move them accordingly, steering new members,in the right direction as we go.

Ultimately we'd much rather have someone share a cook and talk about it, even if it's not in the best area, than not have it posted at all. We can always manage the details later!

Keep the posts & ideas coming! :)

Cliff

Are you saying some of us  are drain bamaged?

To expand, we have an entire section dedicated to food.  It should be easy to pick out the emphasized food and put it in the requisite food section.  However brain damage aside, all people over time I have observed have trouble making decisions at points in time.  Ergo, food in the general discussion.  I don't see huge issues just as long as it does not cause general indigestion.  I don't want to take antacids
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:59:56 PM by stalag »
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »
I guess my whole point is that maybe less is more. I think that a singular"What's Cooking?" forum is all that's needed.

Trust me, we get that, and it's actually a discussion we've been having behind the scenes for a while now.  We have always been more user-driven than most forums and that is a big part of WHY we have such a diverse set of topic boards.  Users have asked for them.

Having several topics might seem a bit cluttered, but it makes it easier to peruse specific topics without having to wade through a ton of unrelated posts. 

We do have some ideas (based on member suggestions/feedback) that we're going to try here very soon.  This may help streamline the front page of the forum, yet keep the user-driven diversity we have enjoyed. 

Tommy hit the nail on the head! I love that there is none of the BS here and you won't find any "better than though" attitudes here, ESPECIALLY from the moderators!  It is the most comfortable forum I have ever belonged to! 

P.S. Oh and Kevin, you misspelled "Dain Bramage"!  :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »
I am one of the advocates of "less is better".  We are digesting all suggestions to try and make this as streamlined as possible. Keep the suggestions and recommendations coming.
I also am one of the guys that left a couple other boards on count of all the BS. This is my home now and I am extremely happy!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »

Agree. I think that is how I feel when you want to point out a cooker on a cook go for it.....when you just want to post a cook put it in the general section....simple as a mod on the Jets that is how we do it
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
Wow this keeps on going on! I'll say it again post where you may it's all good as long as it ends up here. Or somewhere here doesn't matter where you post it we will all be able to see it.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:28 PM »
Wow this keeps on going on! I'll say it again post where you may it's all good as long as it ends up here. Or somewhere here doesn't matter where you post it we will all be able to see it.  :)

It sure does.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
Figured I would put my 2 cents in...

that's all, just 2 cents     8)

Honestly though, I like the different sub areas.  I guess I like going to one area where it is easier to find cooks specific to the unit I am doing or, better yet, trying to get ideas.  A general discussion for TBE would mean I would have to wade through all of the other posts to see how somebody did whatever on the TBE.

I can understand the use of General discussion though for some cooks - ease of use, unsure where to put it or (God forbid) we have a brain fart and accidentally post it there when we meant to put it somewhere else!

To paraphrase a great movie........ POST IT AND THEY WILL SALIVATE!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
Figured I would put my 2 cents in...

that's all, just 2 cents     8)

Honestly though, I like the different sub areas.  I guess I like going to one area where it is easier to find cooks specific to the unit I am doing or, better yet, trying to get ideas.  A general discussion for TBE would mean I would have to wade through all of the other posts to see how somebody did whatever on the TBE.

I can understand the use of General discussion though for some cooks - ease of use, unsure where to put it or (God forbid) we have a brain fart and accidentally post it there when we meant to put it somewhere else!

To paraphrase a great movie........ POST IT AND THEY WILL SALIVATE!

I agree  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »
It makes no difference to me (though I do use the sub forums to post cooks) because like many others I just use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link and it matters not where someone posted.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
It makes no difference to me (though I do use the sub forums to post cooks) because like many others I just use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link and it matters not where someone posted.

Exactly what I do.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 03:44:25 PM »

Exactly what I do.

BD

Same here!
Simplest is generally easiest for the majority. All this banter about where, why, even how.....just hit the unread button and PRESTO no problemo!
IMO we could always use more posts on cooks! But making things even a little complicated for some may forego their decision to post anything.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
Where should I post an invitation to the Cookout with Bremer that we'll have here in Byron, GA?
It's gonna start on Friday, September 30th.  We will be cookin' a whole pig among other things.
Totally free and open to all of you...a great time celebrating the friends of the grill.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »
 :D :D :D :P