Author Topic: Why post cooks in general discussion?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Why post cooks in general discussion?
« Reply #-1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
I am not trying to step on toes but I am just curious why some of you post cooks in this sub forum? We have all of these other sub forums that are cooker specific, Kamados, Pellet Grills, Electric, etc....so why not post your cook in the category that fits what you cooked it on? That's what they are there for! That would make it easy to find as well. It seems like posts are all over the place here instead of where they should be. When I think of "General Discussion" I think of things other that what you've cooked since there are plenty of places already here to post that. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in, lol.

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline stalag

Re: Why post cooks in general discussion?
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
I am not trying to step on toes but I am just curious why some of you post cooks in this sub forum? We have all of these other sub forums that are cooker specific, Kamados, Pellet Grills, Electric, etc....so why not post your cook in the category that fits what you cooked it on? That's what they are there for! That would make it easy to find as well. It seems like posts are all over the place here instead of where they should be. When I think of "General Discussion" I think of things other that what you've cooked since there are plenty of places already here to post that. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in, lol.
Glad to see I am not the only one!
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
Glad to see I am not the only one!

X2 As far as wondering why in my early days here

BUT

I think after all this time RG I for one like looking in one area for the cooks.  Having been a mod on two NY jet forums We do the same as here & it works. 

For me it works well this way but I see why others may like it the other way. Plus many like myself may cook a meal a few ways like start on Charcoal & switch to gas at the end. Or part of the cook may be done one way & the other part another way. Big easy for turkey & veggies on the gas grill. Thoughts
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:40:59 AM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
I get that if you cook it on multiple grills/smokers/indoors that it may be hard to find a category to put it in so at that point, just choose one or have a catch all sub forum, like a "What's Cooking?" deal like I've seen elsewhere. Might work here too ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »
I'm guilty of doing just that.  Didn't think it was that big of a deal.... And I still don't think it is most of the time if I post in GD it's because what I cooked wasn't that big of a deal like "hey! here's some burgers I made tonight!" Or  " check out the wings and Tator tots I made". Not really worthy of being in a special forum because it's not really that special.

Just my two cents  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
If I make something in the kitchen and it does not have a home I place it in general discussions. If I cook something Sous Vide it has a home. Pressure cooker does not.

Many have complained that there are too many different cookers and sub-sections in the forum.

I would be all for adding more sub sections but there are so many already.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »
If I make something in the kitchen and it does not have a home I place it in general discussions. If I cook something Sous Vide it has a home. Pressure cooker does not.

Many have complained that there are too many different cookers and sub-sections in the forum.

I would be all for adding more sub sections but there are so many already.

Mike I agree with you. On our jet forums we decided less was more & it has worked there. When you want to highlight a cooker for a cook I feel that is the time to go to that sub forum...my two cents ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 04:05:16 PM »
I'm guilty of doing just that.  Didn't think it was that big of a deal.... And I still don't think it is most of the time if I post in GD it's because what I cooked wasn't that big of a deal like "hey! here's some burgers I made tonight!" Or  " check out the wings and Tator tots I made". Not really worthy of being in a special forum because it's not really that special.

if your cooks are not special Tom I would like to see what is ;D ;D ;D ;D Set me up a place at your table :D :D :D

I know my cooks are nothing to write home about so I put the few I do in GD. Today most people don't have time to search IMO. But when they do need info on a subject that is when you go to that sub.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »

if your cooks are not special Tom I would like to see what is ;D ;D ;D ;D Set me up a place at your table :D :D :D

I know my cooks are nothing to write home about so I put the few I do in GD. Today most people don't have time to search IMO. But when they do need info on a subject that is when you go to that sub.

Welcome anytime!  :D :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
We have quite a bit of sub sections already and I speak for the rest of the powers that be that there will probably be a reluctance to add more sub sections.

We have sections for charcoal,gas,wood etc. If doing a cook on more than one type of pit, I say just pick one and let us know in you post what other type of equipment that was used during the cook.

I am going to let the admins know about this thread, so we will see if anything gets changed or considered  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 03:28:24 PM »
This is a good discussion!

We have many members, like Regular Guy, who are very forum-savvy and just get where to post cooks.  Sometimes it's not clear where to post a particular cook. Maybe more than one cooker was used, or it's something that's not necessarily a recipe, and it ends up here in General Discussion.

That's OK,  it's ALL good!!!

The bottom line is we have a great staff of moderators who lean on each other, and do a really good job of keeping up with the forum.  Part of our job is to spot posts that could benefit from being in another section and move them accordingly, steering new members,in the right direction as we go.

Ultimately we'd much rather have someone share a cook and talk about it, even if it's not in the best area, than not have it posted at all. We can always manage the details later!

Keep the posts & ideas coming! :)

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 04:28:36 PM »
Wow! This caught fire today, lol. I guess my whole point is that maybe less is more. I think that a singular"What's Cooking?" forum is all that's needed. Whether it be indoors or out, regardless of method. All of that gets explained in the post itself anyway. My wife, being new to here, was amazed at how many sub forums there were and she's right. In my opinion it's just too much to behold. Not meaning that as an insult but things are broken down so exactly that I think it begins to water down the whole experience. I do think less is indeed more in this particular area but again, it's just my opinion. I don't pay the bills here and I certainly won't boycott the place because it's not set up the way that I personally think it should be. Glad to be here, even more glad that y'all give my ideas 2 seconds worth of consideration!! :)

Offline stalag

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
This is a good discussion!

We have many members, like Regular Guy, who are very forum-savvy and just get where to post cooks.  Sometimes it's not clear where to post a particular cook. Maybe more than one cooker was used, or it's something that's not necessarily a recipe, and it ends up here in General Discussion.

That's OK,  it's ALL good!!!

The bottom line is we have a great staff of moderators who lean on each other, and do a really good job of keeping up with the forum.  Part of our job is to spot posts that could benefit from being in another section and move them accordingly, steering new members,in the right direction as we go.

Ultimately we'd much rather have someone share a cook and talk about it, even if it's not in the best area, than not have it posted at all. We can always manage the details later!

Keep the posts & ideas coming! :)

Cliff

Are you saying some of us  are drain bamaged?
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
Wow! This caught fire today, lol. I guess my whole point is that maybe less is more. I think that a singular"What's Cooking?" forum is all that's needed. Whether it be indoors or out, regardless of method. All of that gets explained in the post itself anyway. My wife, being new to here, was amazed at how many sub forums there were and she's right. In my opinion it's just too much to behold. Not meaning that as an insult but things are broken down so exactly that I think it begins to water down the whole experience. I do think less is indeed more in this particular area but again, it's just my opinion. I don't pay the bills here and I certainly won't boycott the place because it's not set up the way that I personally think it should be. Glad to be here, even more glad that y'all give my ideas 2 seconds worth of consideration!! :)
We are not like forums, ;)  no BS to put up with and everyone gets along.

I left a few other sites because of the pompous attitudes  and bickering
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »
We are not like forums, ;)  no BS to put up with and everyone gets along.

I left a few other sites because of the pompous attitudes  and bickering

Been there, done that! Won't do it again. I was just thinking while I was out in the garage putting the Karubecue together, if we had a catch all for ALL cooks we could still  keep the respective sub forums such as Kamados, Pellet Grills, etc....but just use those as a discussion forum on how to use those cookers and also reviews/tips/troubleshooting of those cookers. With as many Moderators as we have here, it would be a breeze to clean those sub forums up and move the actual COOK posts into the new catch all sub forum, whatever name it would have. In my days as an Admin on another forum, I cleaned up a LOT of stuff, moved it to appropriate places and the users followed suite by putting their post where it made the most sense. It made things much easier to figure out, lessened the confusion quite a bit. Everything was sorted and easy to reference.

I can feel myself getting out of hand here so I'll back off, lol. Just trying to help, honest! Like I said, if it stays the same I still love it here!