Author Topic: Been one of them days  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Sailor1

Been one of them days
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
Ever have one of them days that stuff just don't seem to go right?  I had pretty much one of them days today then to top it all off I had promised a hunter that I would make him 40 pounds of pepperoni sticks from some deer that he dropped off.  Had put the frozen meat in the fridge to thaw and had planned to make it this weekend.  I went to the store to get some pork to cut it with and then decided to grind the pork up tonight.  I got the pork all ground up and thought I would go ahead and make the wet mix and put it in the fridge for tomorrow and THUD my jaw hit the floor.  I had opened my spice cabinet to get my cure out and I had a tad over 1 tsp left in the bag.  I knew that I was getting low on that bag but no problem I says cause I know I should have a 1 pound back up bag.  I goes looking for it and I can't find it anywhere.  Wondering what the heck happened to my bag of cure.  I goes back thru all my records and find my last order and then remember that the bag that I was working one WAS my back up bag and I had not reordered.  Crap!  NO CURE! 

Chuck the deer meat back in the freezer and and get on line to order some cure.  Looks like this project is going to get delayed until I get some cure.  Bagged all of the ground pork up except 5 pounds and decided to use what cure I had left to make a 5 pound batch of Honey Ham cubs.  Got it all mixed up and back in the fridge to cure so at least I will have something to smoke on Sunday.

I hate getting old!  I can't remember things that I should remember and feel like an old car.  My radiator leaks and I back fire  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Saber 4

Re: Been one of them days
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
I hear you on the CRS (can't remember sht), good save though, fortunately for me I live close enough to drive to Dallas and pick up cure if I run out.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »
no store around you sells cure?  a lot of butchers around here sell it and some of the outdoor sports stores sell it.  maybe in your town too?  what the old saying.  "getting old ain't for sissies".  so true. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have some Cure #1 as well as some cure mix in the cabinet. I'm down in broward all day tomorrow, but Sunday afternoon I might be able to meet you somewhere.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »
no store around you sells cure?  a lot of butchers around here sell it and some of the outdoor sports stores sell it.  maybe in your town too?  what the old saying.  "getting old ain't for sissies".  so true.

Down here in the tropical paradise there are like 5 people that cure stuff and two of them are on this thread.

I get all my supplies online. Allied Kemco, etc...

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have some Cure #1 as well as some cure mix in the cabinet. I'm down in broward all day tomorrow, but Sunday afternoon I might be able to meet you somewhere.

I just checked I have at least 3/4 of a Cup of pink salt, aka Cure #1.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
I usually have a day like that on a Monday and not on a Friday!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:37 PM »

I just checked I have at least 3/4 of a Cup of pink salt, aka Cure #1.
Just talked to Randy and he threw me a life line.  Going to meet up Saturday evening and he is going to give me some cure to get me by.  Will be able to get this done on Sunday now.  Sure is nice to have friends!

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
I called Gander Mt and Bass Pro and they don't have it in the stores.  You can order from Bass Pro and they will ship a 4 oz package that cost $2.99 with a $5.00 shipping charge to the store that is 30 miles away from me and I would get it sometime next week.  ::) Not many Butcher shops around this part of the country and I don't know of any that does any smoking.  At any rate Randy has me covered for this smoke and I just placed an order with Allied Kinco so I should be good to go now.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Just talked to Randy and he threw me a life line.  Sure is nice to have friends!

i have always liked bent (you guys call him randy).  he is a good person w/ a good heart.  he as always been a stand up guy and i am glad to call him my friend.  i am mad at him for coming to the west coast and not coming to the cabin.   >:(  i can say that no one cooks beef better than bent.  he puts chocolate in some of his rubs.  thats so cool.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 04:54:00 AM »
Nice to see friends helping each other out.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »

X2, one of the best thing about the forum.

I'm lucky I can get cure 1 at Central Market in bulk for $3.99 a pound.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »

X2, one of the best thing about the forum.

X3 ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
An exchange was made in a gas station parking lot, and the transaction included a powdered substance.

I'm just glad that I didn't have to explain to the local constabulary what the powdered substance was, and I'm pretty sure they would not have believed me anyway, even though it was commercially labeled.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 10:59:03 PM »
An exchange was made in a gas station parking lot, and the transaction included a powdered substance.

i want credit for not saying anything even thou the situation does sound familiar.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66